Nerve Pain! Help!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Caitrm

Nerve Pain! Help!

#1 Post by Caitrm »

I had jaw surgery on my lower jaw on March 17th. As for recovery everything is going great and I couldn't be happier with the results... but I'm in agony over the nerve pain in my chin. I know it's a good sign that I will get feeling back in the area, but I'm taking ibuprofen pretty much every 6 hours just to dull the pain. I'm trying to avoid Tylenol, as I just got back to being regular in the bathroom (sorry tmi, but that was a very uncomfortable 2 weeks haha). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it worth a call to my surgeon or should I call my family doctor? I'm willing to try (almost) anything!

snapdresser

Re: Nerve Pain! Help!

#2 Post by snapdresser »

When's the last time you met with your surgeon and when's the next time you're due in again?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

dovhe

#3 Post by dovhe »

My oral surgeon advised me to take B-complex capsules for my nerve pain following the removal of a very deeply impacted baby premolar. Supposedly it helps the nerves heal faster.

Caitrm

#4 Post by Caitrm »

snapdresser wrote:When's the last time you met with your surgeon and when's the next time you're due in again?
I met with him just this past Friday, and I'm not seeing him again until the 13th.

Caitrm

#5 Post by Caitrm »

dovhe wrote:My oral surgeon advised me to take B-complex capsules for my nerve pain following the removal of a very deeply impacted baby premolar. Supposedly it helps the nerves heal faster.
I'll pick some up, thank you!

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

What did he say when you met with him on Friday? Or did you not bring up the pain?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Caitrm

#7 Post by Caitrm »

snapdresser wrote:What did he say when you met with him on Friday? Or did you not bring up the pain?
I casually mentioned it, but he gave me the impression that there wasn't much he could do for it. I didn't really press it though, and it also wasn't as bad then.

BrooklynsOwn

#8 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

Caitrm wrote:I had jaw surgery on my lower jaw on March 17th. As for recovery everything is going great and I couldn't be happier with the results... but I'm in agony over the nerve pain in my chin. I know it's a good sign that I will get feeling back in the area, but I'm taking ibuprofen pretty much every 6 hours just to dull the pain. I'm trying to avoid Tylenol, as I just got back to being regular in the bathroom (sorry tmi, but that was a very uncomfortable 2 weeks haha). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it worth a call to my surgeon or should I call my family doctor? I'm willing to try (almost) anything!
I know you dont want to use them but if you did would the Tylenol (with codeine Im assuming) would that take away the pain? Some people have said they had nerve pain and painkillers didnt seem to help. Just curious.

Caitrm

#9 Post by Caitrm »

BrooklynsOwn wrote:
Caitrm wrote:I had jaw surgery on my lower jaw on March 17th. As for recovery everything is going great and I couldn't be happier with the results... but I'm in agony over the nerve pain in my chin. I know it's a good sign that I will get feeling back in the area, but I'm taking ibuprofen pretty much every 6 hours just to dull the pain. I'm trying to avoid Tylenol, as I just got back to being regular in the bathroom (sorry tmi, but that was a very uncomfortable 2 weeks haha). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it worth a call to my surgeon or should I call my family doctor? I'm willing to try (almost) anything!
I know you dont want to use them but if you did would the Tylenol (with codeine Im assuming) would that take away the pain? Some people have said they had nerve pain and painkillers didnt seem to help. Just curious.
They do work, (I have some leftover from my surgery and use them when I'm desperate) I just don't want to be constipated lol.

BrooklynsOwn

#10 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

OH OK thanks. Its good to know that at the very least there is something that will dull the pain. Its a shame that so many medications have such undesirable side effects. What did you have surgery for? Was it an advancement or a reduction for an underbite? How did you get up the courage to go through with it lol? I have sleep apnea so I need an MMA where they advance both jaws but Im terrified!!

Caitrm

#11 Post by Caitrm »

BrooklynsOwn wrote:OH OK thanks. Its good to know that at the very least there is something that will dull the pain. Its a shame that so many medications have such undesirable side effects. What did you have surgery for? Was it an advancement or a reduction for an underbite? How did you get up the courage to go through with it lol? I have sleep apnea so I need an MMA where they advance both jaws but Im terrified!!
I had just a normal underbite, so I just had BSSO surgery to correct it. I'm 33, and it's something Thats bothered me since I was a teenager. Truthfully, it's not that bad other then the nerve pain. I'm in Canada so almost everything was covered financially, and the hospital was great for treating my post surgical pain and nausea. I have two small kids, so I stayed with my parents for a week after so it was almost a mini vacation for me haha.

BrooklynsOwn

#12 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

Im glad everything worked out for you. I like hearing success stories.

Caitrm

#13 Post by Caitrm »

I am happy to report that I purchased the vitamin b complex and it's been working wonders! I still have a bit of tingling, but I'm pretty much pain free now. Thanks for the advice!