LeFort to treat sleep apnea also affect breathing during exercise

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snapdresser

LeFort to treat sleep apnea also affect breathing during exercise

#1 Post by snapdresser »

10 years ago I used to run cross country for my high school. I was never particularly fast and one of those reasons was that whenever I got really out of breath, my vision would get a little foggy and I would feel like I might pass out so I'd have to pull back, even if my legs didn't hurt that bad. I haven't done much in the way of cardio since then. Fast forward to now. I had a LeFort I and BSSO with a few mm forward movement to treat sleep apnea almost 2 years ago now. About 2 months ago I started using an exercise bike to try and get back into cardio. I don't use it for very long, usually only about 2x 5-minutes as part of a circuit I do along with weight training, but I go pretty hard while I'm on it. However, NOW I've noticed that my vision stays clear even as my heart is pounding and my legs are burning. I breathed through my mouth while running back in high school and once I get going on the bike, I still breathe through my mouth, so perhaps it has more to do with the BSSO and genio (which supposedly pulls the base of the tongue forward)? This seems to be an unintended consequence of the bimax advancement. Anyone else have this experience? This might be useful to know for people considering the surgery in the future if they've had breathing issues while exercising in the past. I didn't even realize the foggy vision and feeling like I might pass out was because of the breathing. I thought everybody felt that way when running hard...
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

shortfacedeepbite

Re: LeFort to treat sleep apnea also affect breathing during exercise

#2 Post by shortfacedeepbite »

Thats really great to know. As I have been working out for years and my cardio never gets better regardless of how hard i try.

bighoss

#3 Post by bighoss »

No sleep apnea here but I did notice an improvement in breathing during exercise following surgery. My surgeon specifically noted he would enhance my airway via genio. My breathing feels more natural, especially during exercise.

(Double jaw surgery, underbite)

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

My 2-piece LeFort totally helped out my airway. The idea that I could breathe through my nose during exercise was a complete non-starter before.

Dureena

#5 Post by Dureena »

bighoss wrote:No sleep apnea here but I did notice an improvement in breathing during exercise following surgery. My surgeon specifically noted he would enhance my airway via genio. My breathing feels more natural, especially during exercise.

Did they move your lower jaw forward or back? I ask because normally with underbites it's moved back, which can restrict the airway.

bighoss

#6 Post by bighoss »

Dureena wrote:
bighoss wrote:No sleep apnea here but I did notice an improvement in breathing during exercise following surgery. My surgeon specifically noted he would enhance my airway via genio. My breathing feels more natural, especially during exercise.

Did they move your lower jaw forward or back? I ask because normally with underbites it's moved back, which can restrict the airway.
Lower jaw was moved back 6mm. To counter any restriction of the airway, the tongue muscle was moved forward via genio. The tongue is what restricts the airway following lower jaws moved backward.

braceface2017

#7 Post by braceface2017 »

I also had this procedure to correct my sleep apnea. So far, so good. I think they said I do a sleep study maybe 6 months post op?