What are some things anyone should know about jaw surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheBostics

What are some things anyone should know about jaw surgery?

#1 Post by TheBostics »

Title. Kinda wanted to know what are a couple things I should know about jaw surgery that doctors can't help you with, or little tips and tricks you may have picked uo from your own.

dh892r

Re: What are some things anyone should know about jaw surgery?

#2 Post by dh892r »

I would start by reading the topics in this forum (Oral (Orthognathic) Surgery) and reading blogs.

Some blogs I found helpful:
http://www.confessionsofametalmouth.com/
https://jawsurgeryblog.wordpress.com/about/

Know this is a serious procedure with many implications. The healing is slow. You will likely look different following the surgery. And if your palate is expanded, you will have a lisp for some time with the splint.

I would recommend speaking with more at least two people who have had the procedure and working with at least two doctors on opinions. Also, if the doctor you choose is out of network. Understand the terms: Allowable amount and reimbursement schedule - prior to making the decision. Know working with insurance for prior approval for the procedure is time consuming and stressful.

Also, plan on many, many doctors appointments. From the start of this process to now, I have gone to at least 30 doctors appointments. From orthodontist, to oral surgeon, to hospital pre-op, to physical therapy. Luckily, my job is flexible. However, I would not imagine doing this with a rigid/inflexible job or boss. I'm expecting at least 15 more before all is done.

While I realize I just listed many negatives, I am three months post-op. So slightly jaded/burnt out as to the process. I will likely responding differently once fully healed and my braces are off later this year. However, all of the above have been my experience and is important for anyone making this decision to be aware of. If your why is strong enough, it is very worth it.

Hope that helps,
Dan

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

Feel free to check out my blog as well, the link is in my signature. On my sidebar, I have a "Jaw Surgery HQ" with links to all my blog posts and vlogs I did throughout the entire process.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Elucidation

#4 Post by Elucidation »

jaime wrote:Feel free to check out my blog as well, the link is in my signature. On my sidebar, I have a "Jaw Surgery HQ" with links to all my blog posts and vlogs I did throughout the entire process.
ditto my blog, I'm 1 month out, the recovery has been fine. An important thing I wrestle with is that as with most things, it's hard to get 100% perfection, so I need to be happy with 90% perfect. Considering my starting point of not perfect at all, I'm pretty ecstatic. But now that my bite is so much closer to ideal, it becomes easier for me to notice the little things that are off (that were off even before surgery, but everything was so off I never noticed) like a slight midline offset (1/5 tooth), a slight lower jaw cant (was there from before surgery), etc.

I'm having a hard time getting used to my new face, at 1 month there's still swelling to reduce. However, every friend I've met says I look way better now, including several who I don't think would lie. Feel free to look for yourself on my blog, the week 4 post has comparison photos
Blog: http://doublejawsurgery.samansari.info
My arch-wired topic on my surgery: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=492454

Braces from March 2015 - January 2018
Double-jaw surgery on March 7, 2017 to correct a class III malocclusion (upper -1mm, lower +7mm from normal), ie. an underbite.