Sliding genioplasty vs chin implant nerve damage

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Trotsky9

Sliding genioplasty vs chin implant nerve damage

#1 Post by Trotsky9 »

Is there a higher chance of nerve damage with a genioplasty compared to a chin implant?

chin

Re: Sliding genioplasty vs chin implant nerve damage

#2 Post by chin »

absolutely...dont mess with ur chin

braces101

#3 Post by braces101 »

I don't know about permanent nerve damage but I definitely had a good amount of pain in my chin about two months after surgery as the nerves began to come back. At 4 months, my chin is still fairly numb, but I'm not sure if this is related to the lower jaw movement or the sliding genioplasty.
3-piece Lefort 1, BSSO, Sliding genioplasty, Turbinectomy, Septoplasty, Wisdom teeth + bone grafts in Dec 2016

BrooklynsOwn

#4 Post by BrooklynsOwn »

braces101 wrote:I don't know about permanent nerve damage but I definitely had a good amount of pain in my chin about two months after surgery as the nerves began to come back. At 4 months, my chin is still fairly numb, but I'm not sure if this is related to the lower jaw movement or the sliding genioplasty.

Does your surgeon think the feeling will come back? Does a genioplasty help with sleep apnea? Id like to have double jaw surgery for sleep apnea without the genio because so many people say the genio causes numbness but it might be necessary as a cure for sleep apnea (it moves your tongue forward) is that true?

giamia101

#5 Post by giamia101 »

Any surgery regarding the face is highly risky, but if you find the right surgeon, I'm sure all is well. Nerves take almost about a year to full come back sometimes. Best of luck on your decision. :jump:

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

BrooklynsOwn wrote: Does a genioplasty help with sleep apnea? Id like to have double jaw surgery for sleep apnea without the genio because so many people say the genio causes numbness but it might be necessary as a cure for sleep apnea (it moves your tongue forward) is that true?
I discussed exactly this with Dr. Sachs. He's the one who told me the genio pulls your tongue forward and helps to treat sleep apnea if the culprit construction is at the back of the tongue (where my constriction was), and I trust him. Apparently so did the BCBS board because they approved the procedure as part of my sleep apnea treatment. That said, I'm not sure it's "required" per se. I'm sure you'd still see some sleep apnea benefits from a bimax without the SG. I really like my SG tho; it's a good look. But it's your chin, not mine :D
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018