Upper Jaw Surgery Reversal? Nose question and Depression

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

supersadrn

Upper Jaw Surgery Reversal? Nose question and Depression

#1 Post by supersadrn »

Will moving my upper jaw down and back make my nose small again? I'm a girl in my mid 20's and I got a botched surgery, every aesthetic nightmare I've read about has come true.

Almost two years ago I got double jaw surgery: upper jaw moved up (A LOT), forward, and tilted to "fix" a cant and lower jaw moved forward + genioplasty and SARPE. I had an openbite/overbite/crossbite and longface syndrome and at first was recommended to only do the bottom jaw.

My nose got really wide and REALLY flat like it's been pressed down with a finger, bridge tilting to the left side and lower face and chin swinging to the right; NO teeth showing at all when I smile when I used to have a gummy smile.
I look like a toothless grandma with a witch chin and lopsided face when I smile. Literal complete opposite of what my face used to be, at least it was more symmetrical before.

The entire time after the surgery I've been extremely depressed even to this day, and that is no exaggeration. I still look in the mirror obsessively, I try not to smile, I never take photos of myself and avoid being in them. I can't stand looking at the before and after and I think about all these thoughts every single day since the surgery.

My surgeon knows a lot has gone wrong and will do a revision on me. I really want my face back but I really don't want to risk getting my nose even bigger, he's suggesting my upper jaw to be moved down and forward.
But moving it forward will make my nose flatter/wider correct? what will moving it backwards do? I am really desperate for answers!

supersadrn

Re: Upper Jaw Surgery Reversal? Nose question and Depression

#2 Post by supersadrn »

TL;DR: I just want my teeth to show again and my nose to not get any wider. What kind of movement can I suggest to make this happen?

jawregret1

#3 Post by jawregret1 »

Hey!

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I've experienced all the same things as you.

So for sure your surgeon is offering a revision? My surgeon suggested simply moving the upper jaw down (downgrafting) to make my tooth show good again. Why did yours suggest another forward movement?

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

supersadrn wrote:Will moving my upper jaw down and back make my nose small again? I'm a girl in my mid 20's and I got a botched surgery, every aesthetic nightmare I've read about has come true.
My surgeon knows a lot has gone wrong and will do a revision on me. I really want my face back but I really don't want to risk getting my nose even bigger, he's suggesting my upper jaw to be moved down and forward.
But moving it forward will make my nose flatter/wider correct? what will moving it backwards do? I am really desperate for answers!
The wideness of your nose is probably due to the sutures. Typically during the procedure surgeons put in sutures on either side of your nose to keep it from widening and flattening (I believe that's because when they separate the tissues at the bottom of your nose, they won't re-adhere properly without using sutures). If I had to guess, either your surgeon didn't do that or they placed the sutures too far apart. If they DO put in the sutures correctly during your revision, you should see a big improvement in that aspect of your nose. Your jaw movements won't have as big of an impact on the appearance of your nose as those sutures will.

When it comes to tooth show, bringing your maxilla back down will increase your tooth show. In the beginning of your post you refer to moving your maxilla back but at the end of your post you refer to it being moved forward, so I'm not sure which to respond to, but in general moving it forward will increase your tooth show, but there are rules of thumb for exactly how far forward it should be. Good luck! And sorry to hammer you so hard on your other post haha
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

rimi1881

#5 Post by rimi1881 »

Hi Jawregret1,

Did you get a revision done? I was over impacted so am trying to organise a revision but am unsure what to do as told that down grating is very unstable.

jawregret1

#6 Post by jawregret1 »

rimi1881 wrote:Hi Jawregret1,

Did you get a revision done? I was over impacted so am trying to organise a revision but am unsure what to do as told that down grating is very unstable.
I'm getting a revision done this summer to downgraft 3 or 4mm. My surgeon said he'd use hip bone for it.

rimi1881

#7 Post by rimi1881 »

Jawregret1 I hope your revision goes well for you x

Marriedonmaui

#8 Post by Marriedonmaui »

Will be thinking about you. Please give us an update. Wishing you a great recovery.

bracejks

#9 Post by bracejks »

So many ppl fall to no tooth show after jaw surgery.... I'm too waiting for a plan..what are these doctor thinking....

sarzo14

#10 Post by sarzo14 »

bracejks wrote:So many ppl fall to no tooth show after jaw surgery.... I'm too waiting for a plan..what are these doctor thinking....
Not sure but my surgeon has that in plan, so he's not impacting my teeth to much. He says it's better to still have some gummy smile than to over-impact. I guess some surgeons don't take that into consideration.

Nellyfizzle2

#11 Post by Nellyfizzle2 »

I've been living my entire 27 years without any teeth show so if anyone's going to understand your pain it's me :( :lol: it's called a low lip line. It is so uncomfortable to speak and it gets worse as you get older, needless to say I've rocked it. lol I've made the most out of my situation and i just try to keep a smile on my face because when I smile there is tooth show so people don't realllllyy notice it.

You are driving yourself nuts girl! (Or guy?) you can't be depro like this!! I actually naturally have a flat nose as well hahahaha and when I have my surgery they're going to push my jaw forward and down (flattening my nose even more, of course there will be sutures and hopefully the change will be a good one).

But we can't let this lead us into depression. We need to remain strong :flowerbloom: You are not alone :heart:

Zola

#12 Post by Zola »

supersadrn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:45 pm Will moving my upper jaw down and back make my nose small again? I'm a girl in my mid 20's and I got a botched surgery, every aesthetic nightmare I've read about has come true.

Almost two years ago I got double jaw surgery: upper jaw moved up (A LOT), forward, and tilted to "fix" a cant and lower jaw moved forward + genioplasty and SARPE. I had an openbite/overbite/crossbite and longface syndrome and at first was recommended to only do the bottom jaw.

My nose got really wide and REALLY flat like it's been pressed down with a finger, bridge tilting to the left side and lower face and chin swinging to the right; NO teeth showing at all when I smile when I used to have a gummy smile.
I look like a toothless grandma with a witch chin and lopsided face when I smile. Literal complete opposite of what my face used to be, at least it was more symmetrical before.

The entire time after the surgery I've been extremely depressed even to this day, and that is no exaggeration. I still look in the mirror obsessively, I try not to smile, I never take photos of myself and avoid being in them. I can't stand looking at the before and after and I think about all these thoughts every single day since the surgery.

glennstanzalone

#13 Post by glennstanzalone »

Had a similar result. Face looks smushed in lots of photos and I have big pouches in my nasolabial area and next to my mouth. This is due to taking away bony support for my face. Also, I have weak cheekbones so when they brought everything up and forward - it essentially took away any contour to my face. I even had a face lift with fat transfer to cheeks and it didn't totally solve the problem even though I look less hideous now. Fixing my cant took away 5mm on one side of my face and 1mm on the other but my soft tissue is still uneven. My nose is now twisted to the side and flattens when I smile. I'll need at least 2-3 more procedures (another fat transfer, nose job and chin aug) to look anywhere close to how I used to but I can't imagine I'll ever have a face that doesn't look deformed and lumpy. I feel like I lost my look & lost the ability to feel my lip/chin. Let us know if you get the revision!
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

taymp

#14 Post by taymp »

Hi there!
I’m not sure if you’re still active on this forum being that this was almost three years ago, but I am desperately needing answers. I just came across this forum looking for anyone that has dealt with a similar situation to mine and found yours. I have the same exact situation happening currently and am 10 months post op. They all have said to give the surgery a year for swelling to resolve and I will start seeing better results...well I am here now still horrified looking in the mirror. I had just an upper jaw surgery to fix a gummy smile (or long face syndrome) and show less of my teeth. Two surgeries later to correct a misaligned bite, I came out with my family being unable to recognize me and also myself. Millimeters are the “miles” of the face and there were several millimeters taken to result in this drastic change. I show hardly any teeth any more and cannot bare to take a single picture of myself again. My nose has spread a significant amount and I originally had a smaller pug nose with structure. The bridge of my nose seems to have dissipated and I cannot find any part of my face that hasn’t drastically changed since the surgery. I have been patient and given this time and have heard all the people say that it will get better. All I want is to wake up from being stuck inside of this face that isn’t mine anymore. I would do anything to have my old self back and also find who I was again mentally. It all may sound silly to those who have not been in this circumstance but I do not go out of the house anymore, include myself in pictures, or feel good about any part of myself. I was never overly confident and vain before this all, but now I am almost ashamed to go out and face the reality of people who have known me for several years. Of course the swelling is long gone and I can see improvement from the day after surgery, but if I can’t even see one piece of my old self in the mirror what good is that. Everything has changed and while I sit here researching options I have had no luck finding any. A rhinoplasty would probably help in a way but overall I think I am going to be unhappy with the new face as a whole. I do not like to talk or write about anything I am feeling about this situation and bring the emotions back to surface, so this would be the first time I’ve ever done this. I am angry at myself for ever doing this surgery in the first place and now would gladly do anything to be back with a gummy smile and a longer face. It’s crazy how we don’t realize how good we have it until it all is gone.

I would like to see if you had any positive outcomes or changes with your situation with another surgery? I am praying to get another one as soon as I can when all this waiting is over with. I am desperate to get out of this depressed state of mine and find out which step is next for me to take. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for posting this so I can know I am not totally alone in this.

CielCristal

#15 Post by CielCristal »

Hi taymp, I am 4 weeks post op and in same situation as you. I regret so much this surgery - a disaster aesthetically plus I have new functionalities issues. Can you please update how you are doing now and if you have taken any actions since, maybe a revision? Thanks