Post surgery lisp

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nate01

Post surgery lisp

#1 Post by Nate01 »

Hello,

I'm roughly 2 weeks after surger and I had a lisp to be blunt, I didn't before hand but I do now. I had double jaw surgery and now most of the swelling has gone down but there is still some left and half of my bottom lip is still numb. I'm a test engineer so a part of my job is talking to customer about why or what has failed with there product so I'd like to put off soundlibf like Daffy Duck as best I can :lol: basically I was just wondering if anyone else had this peoblem and if it went away ? Stayed ? Or what ?

Kind regards, Nate

Jawbreak

Re: Post surgery lisp

#2 Post by Jawbreak »

Do you still have rubber bands holding your teeth together? I know I had a pretty significant lisp when I had my rubber bands on, but now that I'm allowed to take them off during the day, it's MUCH better. I still have a very slight lisp but nobody hears it but me apparently. Also, is the gum/palate part right behind your upper front teeth numb? Mine was very numb and I feel like it contributed to the lisp because the tip of my tongue didn't know where to position itself and I couldn't tell if I was making contact at all when saying "s" and "z" sounds. The numbness is almost gone now (2 months post-op). There is still a narrow margin behind the teeth that is numb, but most of it seems to be back.

I was actually thinking of going to a speech therapist if it doesn't fully go away (just for my sake, and also because I was always terrible at enunciating even before the surgery, so two birds one stone), but honestly, it's definitely almost gone and no one notices it, so I don't feel like it's a requisite at this point. Hopefully it'll get better for you too!

Also, trust me, at 2 weeks, it feels like most swelling is down, but there is so much more to go haha.
Procedure: Bilateral maxillary and mandibular osteotomy (Lefort I; single piece) & septoplasty
Date of surgery: Nov 30th, 2017
Recovery blog: http://jawbreak.blogspot.com/

Nate01

#3 Post by Nate01 »

When I posted this I didn't have any elastics or bands on and yeah what you said about the roof of my mouth is numb still so that may be one of the reasons as well as my bottom lip is still mostly numb but iv just had my mouth closed with elastics now so not sure if the lisp is still there, ovs I have one now nut that's coz I can't open my mouth :lol: I did talk to one of the surgeons and he did say that the the nerve in my jaw was bruised so that may be a possible reason as well.

Thanks for the insight and helps to know from someone who has experienced this.

BettyS

#4 Post by BettyS »

How is everyone’s lisping now? Tomorrow it’ll be 3 weeks since my double jaw surgery and I finally googled the lisping today. The rubber bands don’t make a difference one way or the other. I thought it was because of the numbness in my tongue and parts of my lips. At my follow up last week, the resident said what I’m seeing on here, that my muscles and articulators need to get used to being in their new places. I wasn’t sure whether to believe him because he was wrong about something else I asked (my nose is/was pointing to the right and I asked if it would resolve when the swelling went down. He said no, but the surgeon came in and said yes, and my nose is looking more normal now).

I googled tongue twisters for the sounds I’m struggling with, and I think I’m on the right track cuz it made my tongue sore after only a few minutes of practice :lol: