double jaw surgery ruined my face?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snapdresser

Re: double jaw surgery ruined my face?

#16 Post by snapdresser »

Yeah, they overdid my impaction a little bit too. Seems intense to get a re-do for tooth show, but how much does yours bother you? Enough to get it redone? I didn't see any difference in tooth show after 7 months post-op (though I didn't have any infection or issues with how the muscles were pulling in my face that might skew my tooth show, either).
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

devastated

#17 Post by devastated »

I was showing 2-3 mm teeth when camiuflaged. Before op not showing but thats what was supposed to be corrected. Now its the same as pre -op (again im 3 weeks post op and still swallen for sure) but is that affecting the lenght of my lip?
In terms of assymetry - my dr just called ;( and asked to see his friend plastic surgeon before I see him on friday (for a consult to see what we can do asap with asymetry:(( I guess thats a bad sign :(

devastated

#18 Post by devastated »

Ps. I had upper pushed foreard and lowered both movements - 5mm.

jawregret1

#19 Post by jawregret1 »

snapdresser wrote:Yeah, they overdid my impaction a little bit too. Seems intense to get a re-do for tooth show, but how much does yours bother you? Enough to get it redone? I didn't see any difference in tooth show after 7 months post-op (though I didn't have any infection or issues with how the muscles were pulling in my face that might skew my tooth show, either).
I would get a revision solely because my smile was always my best feature. Pretty disappointing to have lost it.

jawregret1

#20 Post by jawregret1 »

devastated wrote:Ps. I had upper pushed foreard and lowered both movements - 5mm.
Your tooth show should increase if it was a forward movement along with it being lowered (if that means a downgraft?).

snapdresser

#21 Post by snapdresser »

devastated wrote:I was showing 2-3 mm teeth when camiuflaged. Before op not showing but thats what was supposed to be corrected. Now its the same as pre -op (again im 3 weeks post op and still swallen for sure) but is that affecting the lenght of my lip?
In terms of assymetry - my dr just called ;( and asked to see his friend plastic surgeon before I see him on friday (for a consult to see what we can do asap with asymetry:(( I guess thats a bad sign :(
It's definitely possible that swelling is affecting the apparently length of your lip. I would give it some more time before you undergo any additional procedures so you can see what your final results are like first. Wow, his plastic surgery friend, eh? A lot of people don't get any traction with their surgeons when they complain. Cool! 8) Keep us posted on what the plastic surgeon says! Though he may well say "let's see how it looks when the swelling's gone first" :?
No braces

devastated

#22 Post by devastated »

[quote="snapdresser"]Well, how much of the asymmetries seem to be in the soft tissues, and how much seem to actually be in the bones? Uneven swelling in the soft tissues is completely normal.[/quote]

I have no clue. My doctor seem to not know either here's 2 photos before and 2 photos after (link) (Crooked nose one nostril bigger cheek fold higher on on side than the other)
I also have nerve injury (lower lip) but doctor says its getting better and he hasnt cut the nerve so I hope for full recovery. Still.. I was not prepared for so many problems and issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a39fexkjvglo ... vrERa?dl=0

devastated

#23 Post by devastated »

jawregret1 wrote:
snapdresser wrote:Yeah, they overdid my impaction a little bit too. Seems intense to get a re-do for tooth show, but how much does yours bother you? Enough to get it redone? I didn't see any difference in tooth show after 7 months post-op (though I didn't have any infection or issues with how the muscles were pulling in my face that might skew my tooth show, either).
I would get a revision solely because my smile was always my best feature. Pretty disappointing to have lost it.

I can totally understand and relate.
Tooth show/line in relation to lips is an important feature.

devastated

#24 Post by devastated »

jawregret1 wrote:
devastated wrote:Ps. I had upper pushed foreard and lowered both movements - 5mm.
Your tooth show should increase if it was a forward movement along with it being lowered (if that means a downgraft?).
That is exactly what I though too. It seems illogical to me that movement down and forward (both 5mm) wouldnt increase teeth show. Having said that my surgeon says the soft tissie and muscles changes after movements and that my lip will NOT get shorter. Im completely confused. Thank you for any feedback those who experienced similar problems.

snapdresser

#25 Post by snapdresser »

To be honest, it looks like the standard swelling to me, in line with how far you are post-op. I definitely wouldn't recommend jumping into anything with the plastic surgeon at this point. Actually, I'm pretty surprised that your doctor directed you to a plastic surgeon! At 3 weeks post-op?! :shock:
No braces

devastated

#26 Post by devastated »

snapdresser wrote:To be honest, it looks like the standard swelling to me, in line with how far you are post-op. I definitely wouldn't recommend jumping into anything with the plastic surgeon at this point. Actually, I'm pretty surprised that your doctor directed you to a plastic surgeon! At 3 weeks post-op?! :shock:
Yes he did. Which terrifies me.. thank you heaps for your reply..

devastated

#27 Post by devastated »

snapdresser wrote:
devastated wrote:I was showing 2-3 mm teeth when camiuflaged. Before op not showing but thats what was supposed to be corrected. Now its the same as pre -op (again im 3 weeks post op and still swallen for sure) but is that affecting the lenght of my lip?
It's definitely possible that swelling is affecting the apparently length of your lip. I would give it some more time before you undergo any additional procedures so you can see what your final results are like first. Wow, his plastic surgery friend, eh? A lot of people don't get any traction with their surgeons when they complain. Cool! 8) Keep us posted on what the plastic surgeon says! Though he may well say "let's see how it looks when the swelling's gone first" :?
Thank you I will. And yes, my surgeon actually seems pretty upset/worried with me not liking the results and seeing so many problems.. I think hes tryung to help by eliminating some of them asap so I dont become even more depressed. I believe I made the best choice in terms of surgeon. Hes treating most complicated cases and is a wonderful person as well. After the surgery he was happy and he said he thinks Ill be happy too. I guess were both disapointed ..

devastated

#28 Post by devastated »

Update: plastic surgeon said 'most likely lips are nit swollen anymore and you need to inject sth to even out (he didnt even touch me though?) asymetry (cheek and nose)he said could be from nerve damage.
This visit didnt help. I am sooo low right now.

jawregret1

#29 Post by jawregret1 »

Hey, let me just point out again that three weeks is very early. What everyone says about how your general face will change is so true.

At around three weeks you don't look monstrously swollen anymore. If you go out, nobody will notice anything wrong with you. You will look like a perfectly normal person.

But!

There are random areas of swelling all over your face that will change as time goes on. I promise that. They mask your final result. Things like your nose will be changing, the area around the nasal base and philtrum will change. Your jawline.

Remember that your body has been through major trauma, and it takes time to heal. The stiffness will subside and your smile will feel more natural.

I'm not saying you'll love your final result. It's not possible to tell.

But what I CAN say is that this face as it is right now is temporary and the things you dislike right now might not be there later on. So if you ever want to change something about your face as a result of the surgery... Remember this is not the final result! You might not want to change anything at all.

Patience.

devastated

#30 Post by devastated »

jawregret1 wrote:Hey, let me just point out again that three weeks is very early. What everyone says about how your general face will change is so true.

At around three weeks you don't look monstrously swollen anymore. If you go out, nobody will notice anything wrong with you. You will look like a perfectly normal person.

But!

There are random areas of swelling all over your face that will change as time goes on. I promise that. They mask your final result. Things like your nose will be changing, the area around the nasal base and philtrum will change. Your jawline.

Remember that your body has been through major trauma, and it takes time to heal. The stiffness will subside and your smile will feel more natural.

I'm not saying you'll love your final result. It's not possible to tell.

But what I CAN say is that this face as it is right now is temporary and the things you dislike right now might not be there later on. So if you ever want to change something about your face as a result of the surgery... Remember this is not the final result! You might not want to change anything at all.

Patience.
That is all I needed to heat. Thank you so much!. This gives me hope. Ill be patient and wait another 5-6 weeks at least before evaluating my results again.