double jaw surgery ruined my face?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

devastated

double jaw surgery ruined my face?

#1 Post by devastated »

Hi everyone, it 10 years tourney for me now and it seems its ending the worst it possibly could.
I was a beautiful girl 10 years ago (25) i had 2 teeth crooked and went to get braces, orthodontist removed 2 teeth to correct/straighten my teeth. I started seeing very negative effects in my profile and my look, I consulted with other orthodontist who said I have minor class 2 and should have braces again and camouflage it. did it, my face was great but she pushed front teeth (in order to achieve good profile) so far out when I smiled.. especially profile, it didn't look good, still I wish Id just stopped then and accept my jaw cannot be perfect. I saw best surgeons and orthodontists in the country they all said I should undergo jaw surgery to get it "fixed". I had to have braces 3rd time, which decamouflaged the problem. Im 3 weeks post op.. I had upper jaw lowered 5 mm and pushed forward 5 mm, lower jaw was then moved forward properly. during surgery dr decided for genii (3mm) as well cause he said after jaw movements i needed it.
Now, 3 weeks post op I seriously am having scary thoughts for the 1st time in my life. I was a happy successful social person I just wanted the problem fixed. Now I feel my life has ended. My from teeth don't show, my upper lip got longer but narrower, I have bigger nose but worse - it is crooked my nostrils are different size and one is higher than another. also when I smile one cheek is much higher than another, I look like a monster. Did anyone had similar problems at this stage post op to then see it resolved in time? my doctor is not comforting me he admitted all that Im pointing out is there but didn't offer a solution. I feel I cannot live like that. I was a happy and attractive person. Now.. I cannot even show my face to my family and closest friends they also see its changed me completely and NOT in a better way. :(

devastated

Re: double jaw surgery ruined my face?

#2 Post by devastated »

one more thing. I love how profile looks. the surgeon did a really good job there still I cannot look at myself en face.. will this change? :(

glennstanzalone

#3 Post by glennstanzalone »

Yes, 3 weeks after surgery I looked like a monster. I'm 1 week away from the six month mark and it's only been the last 2 weeks that I've started to look cute again. I thought I lost my whole look. It comes back. It just takes FOREVER. My smile came back around 5 months, that's when my lips got full again. My nose was massive until a few weeks ago and when I don't take turmeric, my face gets puffy again and lopsided. Just be patient.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

devastated

#4 Post by devastated »

Thank you sooo much. I hope i can take it and not go crazy. 6 months does seem like FOREVER. If I can just make sure.. was your nose crooked as well? (One side is higher than another more nostril shows) and when I smile one cheek is higher than another I look like I had a stroke or sth :( and my lips cover front teeth.. thank you for addressing those anyone who experinced similar.

snapdresser

#5 Post by snapdresser »

Relax, you're only 3 weeks post-op! I recall when I was 3 weeks post-op thinking "My swelling's gone down a lot. This must be pretty close to my final results." I was WRONG. You're going to look totally different at 3 months post-op, at 6 months post-op, and at a year post-op. Unfortunately after the first couple weeks the changes come on slowwwwly and aren't noticeable on a day-to-day basis, so buckle down for the long haul and good luck! :D
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

devastated

#6 Post by devastated »

Thank you. This is really helping. Im completely terrified cause my dr said if I hate it so much he doesnt think its the swelling and also he didnt say that all asymetries are swelling issues :( I am struggling to get out of bed and I dont even want my closest friends to see me :( I guess what I need to knowis if anyone had it similar (couldnt look into mirror had major asymetries cheeks lips nose all crooked and friends and family NOT seeing anypositive changes since before the surgery and seeing negative - swelling and asymetries and then it all went away and they liked the way they looked.. I would love to hear its possible but I find it at the moment hard to imagine.

snapdresser

#7 Post by snapdresser »

Well, how much of the asymmetries seem to be in the soft tissues, and how much seem to actually be in the bones? Uneven swelling in the soft tissues is completely normal.
No braces

devastated

#8 Post by devastated »

I do not know that. I guess this could be checked lookig at CT scan? Ill ask my surgeon I see himon friday. Thank you.

devastated

#9 Post by devastated »

Ps. Did someone also encounter no upper teeth show after leFort ? (Mouth at rest open) Did months of healing and reduce of swelling made any difference?

snapdresser

#10 Post by snapdresser »

You should be able to tell what's the bone vs what's soft tissues just by poking around and looking at the position of your teeth and jaws when you pull back your lips.

Also, I had no upper teeth show after LeFort I. It came back after swelling went down :)
No braces

jawregret1

#11 Post by jawregret1 »

snapdresser wrote:You should be able to tell what's the bone vs what's soft tissues just by poking around and looking at the position of your teeth and jaws when you pull back your lips.

Also, I had no upper teeth show after LeFort I. It came back after swelling went down :)
No upper teeth show at rest?

I'm at seven months now. Still no upper teeth show at rest.

snapdresser

#12 Post by snapdresser »

jawregret1 wrote:No upper teeth show at rest?

At 3 weeks post-op I had no upper teeth show at rest. Now I have a couple mm. My lips are naturally closed at rest now so it's hard to see. I have about 0-1 mm gum show when smiling and that's what I usually see the numbers for. I'm not sure I've ever seen "ideal tooth show at rest" listed. It wasn't in the facial aesthetics textbook I downloaded, just tooth show at smile. It looks different, but not BAD. Just takes a little getting used to, and once I did I'm very happy with my appearance :D
No braces

jawregret1

#13 Post by jawregret1 »

snapdresser wrote:
jawregret1 wrote:No upper teeth show at rest?

At 3 weeks post-op I had no upper teeth show at rest. Now I have a couple mm. My lips are naturally closed at rest now so it's hard to see. I have about 0-1 mm gum show when smiling and that's what I usually see the numbers for. I'm not sure I've ever seen "ideal tooth show at rest" listed. It wasn't in the facial aesthetics textbook I downloaded, just tooth show at smile. It looks different, but not BAD. Just takes a little getting used to, and once I did I'm very happy with my appearance :D
I'm happy to hear that for you!

At this point my smile only shows the bottom half of my upper teeth. Very, very, very far from any sort of gum show at all!

snapdresser

#14 Post by snapdresser »

jawregret1 wrote:At this point my smile only shows the bottom half of my upper teeth. Very, very, very far from any sort of gum show at all!
What was your tooth/gum show when smiling pre-op and how much did they impact you? Did they pull your maxilla forward or push it back? Also, do you have short teeth? How long are your incisors? (the visible part not covered by your gums, I mean)
No braces

jawregret1

#15 Post by jawregret1 »

snapdresser wrote:
jawregret1 wrote:At this point my smile only shows the bottom half of my upper teeth. Very, very, very far from any sort of gum show at all!
What was your tooth/gum show when smiling pre-op and how much did they impact you? Did they pull your maxilla forward or push it back? Also, do you have short teeth? How long are your incisors? (the visible part not covered by your gums, I mean)
Pre-op was about 0-1 mm gum show. I was impacted 3 or 3.5 ish mm and had a 3mm forward movement. My incisors are probably about 9 mm maybe?