Thinking about having Orthographic Surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wreckedmango

Thinking about having Orthographic Surgery?

#1 Post by wreckedmango »

Hello, I'm a college student that used to have braces in the past for 4 years and was off from them since 6-7 years ago. Since then, I developed TMJ Symptoms in the last 3 years. They are getting even worse each day, and some days I can't even manage the pain. I can't eat well either (I have to rely on my back molars to chew) and generally had a negative outlook from my facial features. It was then I found out that I have an open bite and crooked/slanted jaw from looking carefully in the mirror few months ago. I'm currently 21.

I feel mentally prepared for this journey to get a better bite but the costs is what worried me the most, since I'm currently full time at school and my family is helping me to pay tuition. I'm not to sure what I should do since this my first time looking at this kind of topic. Should I wait to get it or should I start very soon?

shortcircuit

Re: Thinking about having Orthographic Surgery?

#2 Post by shortcircuit »

If you're going to get it done you might as well get it done now, I should have had mine done years ago but I didn't and my issues have done nothing but get worse. The younger you are, the easier it is to recover from this procedure.

With regards to costs, are you still covered on your parents' medical insurance? There are typically several major questions that have to be answered, the biggest one is whether or not the insurance plan covers orthognathic surgery at all. Many plans have specific exclusions for these procedures. Second, the criteria for coverage can vary substantially among plans that do cover orthognathic surgery. Some may require both skeletal measurements that go beyond a certain threshold of abnormality and documented issues with malnutrition, speech issues, etc., while others are more lenient and look at measurements only.

Assuming that your medical plan does cover orthognathic surgery and you do meet their criteria of the procedure being medically necessary, the third question would depend on how the plan is structured (HMO, PPO, etc.) and whether there is a surgeon in-network in your area. In-network means that the surgeon has agreed to accept that particular insurance and not charge anything above and beyond the insurance reimbursement. Going to a surgeon who is out-of-network can lead to a couple of possibilities: you could get a substantial balance bill for the surgery fee, and it's possible that a surgeon may require you to pay the full cost up front then refund you the amount they get from insurance, if anything.

I've heard of cases where surgery is done without braces but I think those cases are a very small minority, you're most likely looking at braces again but I would consult with several orthodontists to see what would be involved. Braces are typically covered under dental insurance, many of these plans exclude orthodontics for anyone over 18 or don't pay much at all, so this is something else you would need to check into. The insurance coordinators at any orthodontist/oral surgeon's office should be able to tell you what is covered and what isn't.

Good luck :thumbsup: