Oral Sex after Jaw Surgery ???

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

underbite1997

Oral Sex after Jaw Surgery ???

#1 Post by underbite1997 »

Hello everyone,
SO I recently underwent double jaw surgery, week 2 , and Am recovering just fine. However , My mouth isnt opening as wide yet (which i understand is normal for 2 weeks) I can only open one finger width as of now. Now, I have been reading some recovery blogs and ran across one man who said he cant keep his jaws wide open for too long before it hurts. Now I hope we can all be adults here because this does frighten me a bit, I want to be able to return to my normal sex life soon, which includes oral sex. Im Scared that I wont be able to open wide enough :cry: or that it would hurt for extended periods of time. My question to yall is when did you feel ok to resume oral sex?.....How long till you regained your normal range of motion? (for me it was 4 finger widths before surgery) .....and does it hurt to keep your jaw open for long periods of time?....Thanks to anyone who shares ! :rose:

pechellaa

Re: Oral Sex after Jaw Surgery ???

#2 Post by pechellaa »

Bahahah. It's funny because I'm seriously hoping my jaw will stop locking up during oral sex after my surgery. Never caused a problem for me until lately.. Talk about a mood killer. Anyways my surgeon said up to 6 weeks for good bone healing so maybe try then?

underbite1997

#3 Post by underbite1997 »

[quote="pechellaa"]Bahahah. It's funny because I'm seriously hoping my jaw will stop locking up during oral sex after my surgery. Never caused a problem for me until lately.. Talk about a mood killer. Anyways my surgeon said up to 6 weeks for good bone healing so maybe try then?[/quote]

thanks for the input! :)

Jawbreak

#4 Post by Jawbreak »

I'm 7 weeks post-op and I'm still not supposed to even stretch my jaw, and I can only fit about 2 fingers in my mouth (barely). We all heal at different speeds, but I just wanted to say that you probably shouldn't expect to be able to give oral sex by week 6 :) I've heard it takes a few months before you can finally open as wide as a normal person. I guess like anything revolving around this surgery, the key word is "patience"!

underbite1997

#5 Post by underbite1997 »

[quote="Jawbreak"]I'm 7 weeks post-op and I'm still not supposed to even stretch my jaw, and I can only fit about 2 fingers in my mouth (barely). We all heal at different speeds, but I just wanted to say that you probably shouldn't expect to be able to give oral sex by week 6 :) I've heard it takes a few months before you can finally open as wide as a normal person. I guess like anything revolving around this surgery, the key word is "patience"![/quote]

Thanks love :heart: :rose: !!, Also just a side question, what kinda of foods are you able to eat now at week 7 ? im dyingggggg hungry for real food

senecastudent

#6 Post by senecastudent »

I managed it just fine at week 6! I could only my mouth about two and a half fingers, but there ended up being no issues. My partner was more nervous I'd get hurt than I was.

underbite1997

#7 Post by underbite1997 »

[quote="senecastudent"]I managed it just fine at week 6! I could only my mouth about two and a half fingers, but there ended up being no issues. My partner was more nervous I'd get hurt than I was.[/quote]

omg that sounds do good! Did it hurt to have your jaw open for an extended amount of time? Congrats sis! :jump:

Jawbreak

#8 Post by Jawbreak »

Well see, I guess senecastudent proves that we all heal at different speeds haha!

As for the foods I'm eating right now, I'm on a soft diet for another 3 weeks, but my surgeon said he's being very conservative because my bones are pretty thin, so you may be able to start chewing stuff faster than me. For now, I'm sticking with small pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, cheese, yogurt, pudding, deli meats, LOTS of cheesecake :D It's definitely been a LOT easier than when I was on a liquid diet only, so hang in there! You'll get there sooner than you think!

glennstanzalone

#9 Post by glennstanzalone »

Yes, but my surgeon had to give me tongue depressors to stretch my jaw out. I"m also in elastics 24/7 so my jaw is constantly tight. I can get 3 fingers in as of 3-4 months post op. It took a lot of work/pain and I'll keep stretching with muscle relaxers and heat after I get my braces off until I can get 4 fingers in.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

Laila

#10 Post by Laila »

I'm almost 9weeks in after jaw surgery and can only get 2fingers in but it hurts to keep open too long, and pressure on my cheeks still hurts. I still have a lot of stiffness. I'm getting worried if and how long till I can open wider and have more movement. Im also curious how long it has taken for others to be able to perform oral again? I'm worried it's going to take months :(

fixmenow

#11 Post by fixmenow »

If this is your biggest worry I think you're doing alright :lol:
I am only 6 weeks but from what I heard it will take months, and you have to retrain your jaw by seeing a TMJ physiotherapist. Your surgeon or ortho will probably book you up. I'll be starting mine at the 8 week stage.

underbite1997

#12 Post by underbite1997 »

Ok SO I wanted to do an update for anyone who is curious
I am currently 2 months and a week-ish post op and Can fit 3 fingers in my mouth (4 fingers was my pre-op range of motion)
At week 8 I was given jaw exercises to open wider, this is when I was only 2 fingers wide. In a week I was able to get 3 fingers. I am now working towards the last finger.... although ive gotten a bit forgetful of doing the jaw exercises :roll: :oops: ....life happens lol! But probabaly within a few weeks il be back to normal range of motion . Life does get better! :heart:

Sossasosa

#13 Post by Sossasosa »

Omg! I know this post is so old but i recently got jaw surgery 3 weeks ago and I’m really anxious about the whole oral sex part. Just like you i love to give it and I’m really nervous about not being able to do it for along time. How has it been?! Any tips?

Cara35

#14 Post by Cara35 »

I'm about to have mine on Wednesday and was thinking the same thing. Rn I can also fit 4 fingers in so I'll see how many I get after surgery. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Squeakymouth

#15 Post by Squeakymouth »

I had my jaw replaced, both sides, 4 years ago this month and to this day I only get 3 fingers. I am with a new partner and trying oral sex for the 1st time in my life...and I am also wondering if I can get more room? Plus my jaw squeaks when there is repetitive movement, very distracting. It took me about a year to get the range of motion that I have now, so patience is necessary and it hurts if you push too fast. I learned that one.