January - March 2017 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snapdresser

Re: January - March 2017 Surgery Buddies

#46 Post by snapdresser »

bighoss wrote:Yes, spectacular amount of movement! During planning my surgeon even noted this is some of the greatest lateral movement he has performed. That is a little nerve wrecking but it was a success.
You're going to look a lot different with movements like that. You ready for it mentally?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

bighoss

#47 Post by bighoss »

[quote="snapdresser"][quote="bighoss"]Yes, spectacular amount of movement! During planning my surgeon even noted this is some of the greatest lateral movement he has performed. That is a little nerve wrecking but it was a success.[/quote]

You're going to look a lot different with movements like that. You ready for it mentally?[/quote]

Even with lingering swelling I'm already shocked at the difference. I can't help but smile when I look at a mirror! :D

Ridingboots

#48 Post by Ridingboots »

Getting Surgical Hooks today.... things are getting serious as Thursday is surgery day :shock:

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

pechellaa

#49 Post by pechellaa »

Hey guys! I'll be three weeks post op on Monday!
I can't give as much detail about movements or anything yet, because I don't have that info on hand. But I had a class 3 malocclusion (underbite). Besides so many insurance issues, the whole process including my recovery has been so so so much easier than I ever thought. I was prepared for the worst.
Anyways, got questions? I can answer some.
Want to see some pics? Check out my insta.
https://instagram.com/_u/peachellaa?r=sun1

snapdresser

#50 Post by snapdresser »

bighoss wrote:Even with lingering swelling I'm already shocked at the difference. I can't help but smile when I look at a mirror! :D
That's awesome :-* :jump: :thumbsup: I'm really happy for you! You should consider posting a before and after on here once your swelling's gone down! I suspect a lot of people would be interested in seeing the drastic change!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

bighoss

#51 Post by bighoss »

Small setback for my process. :x

Minor infection in a stitch in the upper lip which resulted in excessive swelling. Surgeon was not concerned, simply prescribed antibiotics and instructed me to irrigate/rinse the area multiple times per days. Oh well, on to the next day!

Vega

#52 Post by Vega »

Hi,
I'm adding myself on the list here :P
24th of march is my Sarpe surgery- date.

I already met my surgeon and he explained to me the proces etc... But because it was still early in the whole process I didn't ask anything about the expansion itself. How long, how wide etc..
Now i'm curious, on the 9th I will have another meeting with him, I hope he can tell me then how much I have to expand. Or is this something I should ask my ortho?
My ortho did mention that i'm lucky, because my gap wouldn't be as wide. I don't know how to interpret that. Does that mean I don't have to turn as much or because my jaw is so small that there is not enough room for big expansion or my case is not so severe?
Also I'm already in braces, it seems that a lot of people get braced a few months after Sarpe.
My teeth are pretty much aligned now, except for my midline wich is way off since getting braces, and 1 of my front teeth still overlaps a little bit.

Elucidation

#53 Post by Elucidation »

Adding myself too, I just had my double jaw surgery on March 7th, fixing an 8mm underbite.

It's day 6 of recovery and I'm feeling my energy return to me. I also noticed my nose straightened out a bit! Not sure if it's just due to swelling and if it'll stay that way, but I'd be very okay with that :)

I started a daily blog on my recovery if anyone is interested here: http://doublejawsurgery.samansari.info/

I notice if I pull my lower lip down too hard (coughing/swallowing too hard), my right side of the chin gets a sharp twinge of pain and then pins and needles all over my numb chin, and it feels like the numbness gets a little worse. Has anyone experienced that before?

kim1224567

#54 Post by kim1224567 »

Hi everyone,

I'm 32 years old and I had my SARPE surgery done on the 16th February.

I have to do 35 turns total (I'm up to about 31) and then leave in the plate for a while, then get the braces on while the plate is still in, and then after about a month or so get the plate out.

I cannot wait to get the plate out. I still struggle to pronounce some words even though it's been over a month. It makes work hard at times - particularly in meetings - as I'm really conscious of my speech sounding odd and of the gap.

On the up side I haven't had any pain whatsoever when doing the turns and that was the part I was most nervous about as I'm turning it myself each day.

Anyway I was wondering how many turns you guys did for your plate if you had it surgically put in? Is 35 turns about normal? I'm sure it differs for everyone but I'm interested to know.

Before having the jaw surgery I had a gum graft for a receding gum (in many ways recovering from that was harder than recovering from the expander plate surgery). Next up is braces and then the big one - double jaw surgery.

It's going to be a long couple of years but I cannot wait to come out the other end and have teeth that connect properly. I also have a very narrow airway so they reckon it'll help with my sleeping too.

Exciting times ahead :)

kim1224567

#55 Post by kim1224567 »

[quote="Vega"]Hi,

I already met my surgeon and he explained to me the proces etc... But because it was still early in the whole process I didn't ask anything about the expansion itself. How long, how wide etc..
Now i'm curious, on the 9th I will have another meeting with him, I hope he can tell me then how much I have to expand. Or is this something I should ask my ortho?
My ortho did mention that i'm lucky, because my gap wouldn't be as wide. I don't know how to interpret that. Does that mean I don't have to turn as much or because my jaw is so small that there is not enough room for big expansion or my case is not so severe?
Also I'm already in braces, it seems that a lot of people get braced a few months after Sarpe.
My teeth are pretty much aligned now, except for my midline wich is way off since getting braces, and 1 of my front teeth still overlaps a little bit.[/quote]

Hi Vega,

Hope your SARPE surgery went well! Did you find out how many turns you had to do? I had my SARPE done on the 16th Feb so I have a pretty decent size gap going on now. I never thought I'd be in a hurry to get the braces on to close it up! I know the first few days can be hard with the swelling and numbness but after the first couple of days it gets a lot easier :)

Elucidation

#56 Post by Elucidation »

Vega wrote:Hi,

My teeth are pretty much aligned now, except for my midline wich is way off since getting braces, and 1 of my front teeth still overlaps a little bit.
Hi Vega. you must have had your surgery yesterday right? Hope you're recovering well. I'm 18 days post-op from double-jaw surgery now, the first week was the worst. The second week I was very cautious about eating/breathing/bleeding etc., now in the 3rd week I'm starting to give zero f--ks and continuing on with life :)
Blog: http://doublejawsurgery.samansari.info
My arch-wired topic on my surgery: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=492454

Braces from March 2015 - January 2018
Double-jaw surgery on March 7, 2017 to correct a class III malocclusion (upper -1mm, lower +7mm from normal), ie. an underbite.

Vega

#57 Post by Vega »

Hi all,

I had the surgery last friday and everything went well! :D
The surgery lasted about an hour, and after an hour on recovery i went back to my room.
I wasn't sick after, no nosebleeds and not much pain. Only the stitches hurt a bit.
I did ask before surgery to give me something so i wouldn't be sick afterwards.
I am swollen, i have 2 black eyes and my upper lip feels stiff and numb. Swallowing feels weird, and i have a lot of excess saliva wich is a bit annoying :?
Normally they wanted me to stay the night in the hospital but because i felt fine, i went home the same night. :D
I slept very good.
Now i am on a diet with lots of pudding, soup and yoghurt.
Overall i feel good, i didn't expect that but i could go back to work tomorrow if needed.
Talking is still dificult but if i speak slow and not to loud then you barely notice theres something in my mouth.

Vega

#58 Post by Vega »

kim1224567 wrote:
Vega wrote:Hi,

Hi Vega,

Hope your SARPE surgery went well! Did you find out how many turns you had to do? I had my SARPE done on the 16th Feb so I have a pretty decent size gap going on now. I never thought I'd be in a hurry to get the braces on to close it up! I know the first few days can be hard with the swelling and numbness but after the first couple of days it gets a lot easier :)
I have to expand up to 7mm, so about 20 turns for 10 days.
I already have a 2mm gap after surgery :D
But i'm not looking forward on doing the turns, i hope it doesn't hurt :oops:

kim1224567

#59 Post by kim1224567 »

[quote="Vega"][quote="kim1224567"][quote="Vega"]Hi,

My teeth are pretty much aligned now, except for my midline wich is way off since getting braces, and 1 of my front teeth still overlaps a little bit.[/quote]

Hi Vega,

Hope your SARPE surgery went well! Did you find out how many turns you had to do? I had my SARPE done on the 16th Feb so I have a pretty decent size gap going on now. I never thought I'd be in a hurry to get the braces on to close it up! I know the first few days can be hard with the swelling and numbness but after the first couple of days it gets a lot easier :)[/quote]

I have to expand up to 7mm, so about 20 turns for 10 days.
I already have a 2mm gap after surgery :D
But i'm not looking forward on doing the turns, i hope it doesn't hurt :oops:[/quote]

Turning didn't hurt for me. If I really thought about it I could feel a little tightness on one side of my face but it was barely noticeable. I've just finished turning today after 40 times. The gap feels huge. Can't wait for it to close up! Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

buttersnacks

#60 Post by buttersnacks »

Congrats to all of us who survived this round of surgeries :lol: