Problems chewing in prep for surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lala082008

Problems chewing in prep for surgery

#1 Post by Lala082008 »

I've had Invisalign for a year and am meeting with my Ortho next week to discuss my progress. His previous estimate was I'll be ready for a BSSO in the summer or winter of this year.

Over the past year, it's gotten much harder to chew and my bite is really off now. I can't chew leafy things or tough things almost at all. My teeth only touch in one tiny spot on each side. I had assumed this is normal since I've heard an overbite has to get worse before surgery, but now I'm wondering about that. Have others had this experience?

jaime

Re: Problems chewing in prep for surgery

#2 Post by jaime »

Totally normal. If your bite was perfect when your teeth were aligned, you wouldn't need jaw surgery. :)
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

The whole point of pre-surgical ortho is to put your teeth into the position they'll need to be after surgery. This process is called "de-compensating" your bite. In essence, your teeth used to be in a position to work around your improper jaw shape, and it's necessary to to reverse this process. That way, during the surgery the surgeon just has to slide things into a "natural" bite instead of "free-handing" the necessary movements.

You'll find that after the surgery is over, your teeth will line up the best they ever have in your life.

Lala082008

#4 Post by Lala082008 »

I can't wait! The only complicating factor is that I'm also trying to get pregnant, and if I do I'll have to put the surgery off for at least an extra year. I'm worried my bite will be way off and I won't be able to eat normal food for a long time!

Also just wanted to say I'm so glad this website is here. Last night I was really freaking myself out about the surgery, but after reading people's posts and seeing before and after pictures I'm feeling better.