What orthodontic "fine tuning" did you have post op?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pantlover

What orthodontic "fine tuning" did you have post op?

#1 Post by pantlover »

what else did your ortho need to fine tune with your teeth post op? i know everyone's different, but about how long until you had your braces taken off? or estimated to be taken off?

jaime

Re: What orthodontic "fine tuning" did you have post op?

#2 Post by jaime »

I'm a bad person to answer this question because I've had a "worst case scenario."

I was estimated 6-12 months of post-op orthodontics. I'm currently at 17 months post-op and still in braces.

In my case, my bite on my left side didn't close after surgery and still is slightly open (although two teeth make contact on the left side). I presume my surgeon messed up, but I doubt he'd admit it.

Even if your teeth are perfectly aligned in their arch, they may not fit the other arch after surgery. Elastics and bends in the wire are used after surgery to fit everything together.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

Usually 3-6 months but like Jaime; it's been about 17 months or so for me too.

If I didn't need some specific things done; or if I convinced my surgeon to do them during surgery, I'd probably be done by now.

Part of the problem of having retraction orthodontics as a teenager... Fixing all the problems that arise later in life.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

EWUgal15

#4 Post by EWUgal15 »

I was estimated 12 months of braces post op. I only had to go 9. There was some bracket repositioning, elastics the whole time, bends, IPR, a little bit of everything.

pantlover

#5 Post by pantlover »

oh man. and here i am 3 weeks post op thinking that my teeth look damn near perfect! lol my post op appointment with my ortho isn't until Dec (6 weeks post op) and I was hoping to get some good news but by the looks of your posts, it looks like there's probably small problems my untrained eye can't see.

jaime

#6 Post by jaime »

pantlover wrote:oh man. and here i am 3 weeks post op thinking that my teeth look damn near perfect! lol my post op appointment with my ortho isn't until Dec (6 weeks post op) and I was hoping to get some good news but by the looks of your posts, it looks like there's probably small problems my untrained eye can't see.
Don't stress it! From what I can tell, it's pretty unusual to go as long as Nozzel and I have. Seems like average is anywhere from 3-9 months.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

pantlover

#7 Post by pantlover »

jaime wrote:
pantlover wrote:oh man. and here i am 3 weeks post op thinking that my teeth look damn near perfect! lol my post op appointment with my ortho isn't until Dec (6 weeks post op) and I was hoping to get some good news but by the looks of your posts, it looks like there's probably small problems my untrained eye can't see.
Don't stress it! From what I can tell, it's pretty unusual to go as long as Nozzel and I have. Seems like average is anywhere from 3-9 months.
Thank you everyone for your input! I was already told ahead of time that i would probably be in braces for a minimum of 6 months after surgery for stabilization. and i am now noticing that I do have a bit of a posterior open bite on my left side. but it's totally ok, i would rather be in braces for a little bit longer and fix everything and get it right the first time than EVER GO THROUGH THIS EVER AGAIN. lol

glennstanzalone

#8 Post by glennstanzalone »

They are closing a gap that opened up before my surgery when they decomp'd my bite. They are fixing my midline that shifted w elastics. Also fine tuning the direction my teeth are in my head. Like really really small stuff. I got my surgery in August and will get braces off in February.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!