Should I have another surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandypants08

Should I have another surgery?

#1 Post by mandypants08 »

So to sum up a very long story (just going to hit major points), about 2.5 years ago I went to the general dentist for a check up and she said she thought I had some jaw "issues" and that I should see a surgeon. Well 4 opinions and one year later it was concluded that I had condylar hyperplasia of my left condyle and an asymmetrical jaw (left upper jaw 5 mm longer than right and lower jaw grew over time asymetrically to match upper jaw) . The recommendation was that I had double jaw surgery and a condylectomy to stop the hyperplasia and perfect my bite because at that time the ortho said I would have a lot of dental issues in the long run if I didn't fix my bite. I wanted to do the least invasive route possible so I told them "I don't need a perfect jaw I just want to fix the hyperplasia and improve my bite to where it's functional and looks decent." So after being in braces about a year (this March) we did a condylectomy of the left condyle and the prediction was that I would likely need another surgery after because the procedure would alter my jaw(s) positon for the worse but they coudln't say for sure. Well after the surgery I had a huge open bite in the front (about 7 mm) and a right open bite (not sure how many mm) we gave it a couple months to allow skeletal/dental compensation and now (7 months out) I'm here (see pics). I can tell the open bite's closed about 50% although I haven't had it remeasured, I still have an open bite in the front and on the right side, also an overjet and upper jaw is still canted. So I'm at a decision point, research shows that in most people who've had condylcecomies alone over time thier bite naturally corrects but in most of these cases in take a couple years and some heavy elastics and ortho appliances. In the rest of people who've had condylectomies they've had subsequent jaw surgies to quickly and definitively fix the bite. So what do I do? If I have surgery (which I can have anytime) I'll get the braces off about 4 months later, probably won't need any heavy elastics or appliances and the main problem (my canted upper jaw) will be definitevly fixed, but the downside is SURGERY and all that comes with that- risk, recovery, time off work, etc. If I don't do surgery and opt for the orthodontist to work his magic I risk more time in braces, heavy elastics and applicances and no guarantee that the problem is fixed although it would be much improved and probably sufficient. They both recommend surgery but I've been reading stories and seeing pics of cases seemingly way worse then mine who didn't have surgery and everything eventually was fine. I think my orthodontist is amazing, he's brilliants but it seems like a cultural thing that orthodontist are quick to jump to surgery just based on things I've been reading and in speaking to other people. Please help me decide!
Apparently I can't post pics, sorry.

SingleJawMelb

Re: Should I have another surgery?

#2 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Youve been given the option of having surgery or having braces for a longer time.

You have options, so your point that "it's a cultural thing to jump to surgery ect" is a bit generalised. Your ortho has given you his opinion for the best treatment method in his eyes. He's not getting a kick back by you taking surgery, he's given you, his patient, the best course of action in his professional opinion. You wouldn't be referred to a surgeon unless your jaw warranted that course of action.

If you don't want surgery, you will be in braces for years. Have the appointments, pain, elastics, and the uncertainty that it could work all because you didn't take the surgery route.

Or get surgery, get your issues fixed correctly and in a timely manner. You sound like an adult, so your jaw is formed, surgery is probably the most reliable option to change it, for good.

No one can make this decision for you. Speak to your team, show them what you've found, ask for guidance.

Oh, and the internet has lots of cases, but that doesn't mean they are representative. I joined this site after surgery, lots of people have amazing results and don't document the process online.