Midline is of and gaps between teeth

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SingleJawMelb

Midline is of and gaps between teeth

#1 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Hello,

I had jaw surgey nearly 2 months ago and it was BSSO. My midline is getting worse. I've been for two ortho visits after and he's not said anything, just changed elastics.

Is it something to be concerned about?

Also I have big gaps in my bottom teeth. The teeth meet at the top but not at the bottom bear the gum.

Ahhhh please tell me it's part of the process. :cry:

uneunsae

Re: Midline is of and gaps between teeth

#2 Post by uneunsae »

My midline is off when I open my mouth and they keep saying it will fix itself when my muscles get stronger. It's been 3 months. Keeping my fingers crossed.

SingleJawMelb

#3 Post by SingleJawMelb »

uneunsae wrote:My midline is off when I open my mouth and they keep saying it will fix itself when my muscles get stronger. It's been 3 months. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Cool. I've emailed ortho as I'm not seeing him for a few weeks.

I have seen elastics used to move bottom jaw - by midline I mean teeth, not overall face, I hope my wording was correct.

On my back teeth I have hooks inside, I have watched on YouTube them being utilised.

kpw818

#4 Post by kpw818 »

My teeth are a bit off after surgery as well, so I did some research.

It is really common apparently to have to still shift things around post-surgery. Think about it, they fixed the bone issues, but the teeth may still need adjusting, especially after any widening procedures (lefort).

I have spaces in my top teeth (had a 3-piece lefort) and some other items that will need to be adjusted through my remaining orthodonotic treatment. 2 months isn't a real long time, maybe he isn't wanting to put too much pressure on your jaws yet?

SingleJawMelb

#5 Post by SingleJawMelb »

kpw818 wrote:My teeth are a bit off after surgery as well, so I did some research.

It is really common apparently to have to still shift things around post-surgery. Think about it, they fixed the bone issues, but the teeth may still need adjusting, especially after any widening procedures (lefort).

I have spaces in my top teeth (had a 3-piece lefort) and some other items that will need to be adjusted through my remaining orthodonotic treatment. 2 months isn't a real long time, maybe he isn't wanting to put too much pressure on your jaws yet?
Yeah most likely. My hygienist started to get me worried. Instead of just saying "contact your ortho to see if your midline is ok" he started to say "you've gone through the process... they'll blame you... it won't go back" blah blah blah. Ok maybe he didn't say it won't go back but that was the impression I got lol.

I bought up the issue with the spaces with my teeth and the bottom and hygienist didn't say anything constructive. Ortho said it's due to shape of teeth (triangular) and also a bit of gum recession. Ortho said he will fiddle about with bottom two teeth a bit more.

I don't know how fast the recovery is, but I attended all my post op appointments and did as they said. I had no pain and min bruising/swelling so I guess I was lucky.

Im feeling so happy about everything now. I trust my ortho and surgeon. :-** the gods :-*

kpw818

#6 Post by kpw818 »

SingleJawMelb wrote:
kpw818 wrote:My teeth are a bit off after surgery as well, so I did some research.

Yeah most likely. My hygienist started to get me worried. Instead of just saying "contact your ortho to see if your midline is ok" he started to say "you've gone through the process... they'll blame you... it won't go back" blah blah blah. Ok maybe he didn't say it won't go back but that was the impression I got lol.

I bought up the issue with the spaces with my teeth and the bottom and hygienist didn't say anything constructive. Ortho said it's due to shape of teeth (triangular) and also a bit of gum recession. Ortho said he will fiddle about with bottom two teeth a bit more.

I don't know how fast the recovery is, but I attended all my post op appointments and did as they said. I had no pain and min bruising/swelling so I guess I was lucky.

Im feeling so happy about everything now. I trust my ortho and surgeon. :-** the gods :-*
Well good! I'm glad you are happy about everything. Feeling the same way, despite a few things that need tweaking in the teeth :) I just used my chompers this morning on some eggs and pancakes. It was super weird to chew!

SingleJawMelb

#7 Post by SingleJawMelb »

kpw818 wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:

Well good! I'm glad you are happy about everything. Feeling the same way, despite a few things that need tweaking in the teeth :) I just used my chompers this morning on some eggs and pancakes. It was super weird to chew!
It's weird isn't it. I only have two teeth on the back (so 8 total) to "chew" food properly. Probably not an issue and I'm sure I'm having to relearn how to chew lol.