Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracejks

Re: Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#61 Post by bracejks » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 am

[quote="jawregret1"][quote="bracejks"][quote="jawregret1"]

How are you doing now? Did the tooth show improve at all?[/quote]

Hi, jawregret1,

How are you going, my doctor suggested me to use brace to extrude the upper teeth down and tipping more forward to improve it, but i don't know how much will improve still, but there are some cases fixed by this way, hopefully mine as well.

Eranthe

Re: Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#62 Post by Eranthe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:06 am

Hello jawregret, I've been following your story and was just wondering how you are now?

I am in the same situation as you and I really feel for you. I have been left with less than zero tooth-show and I am extremely depressed and struggling. I have asked my surgeon for a revision maxillary down-graft but he doesn't want to do it because a) there is a high relapse rate with down-grafting, and b) he says it's not possible to down-graft the maxilla without bringing the lower jaw further forward because the down-graft movement would force the mandible to rotate backwards (and neither of us want to risk further nerve damage to the mandible).

I have no idea if either of these things are true, or if they are serious enough concerns to warrant not having a revision ... so I thought I would ask your or perhaps others who are following this thread if they could offer any insight? Many thanks ...