Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

glennstanzalone

Re: Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#61 Post by glennstanzalone »

Hey everyone. I'm a year and a half post-op and things haven't gotten better. I'm seriously considering a revision at this point including downgrafting of my maxilla. I'm realizing I shouldnt have been impacted. I loved my smile before and now I can hardly look at myself in photos. How much does that usually run?
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

zaynab5

#62 Post by zaynab5 »

I had double jaw surgery 2 years ago i was happy becasue my face looked morw proportioned and right now my face looks flat with no cheeks having longer face with flat upper lips i feel like my face looks like before the surgery i have no cheeks or atleast i feel like i have no cheeks i am getting really insecure about it My jaw surgery was in july 2015, i had a smaller chin after surgery now when i smile my chin looks bigger like before my top lips seems to go flat when i smile lile it doesnt look full as it was before the funny thing is that whwn i went back to the surgeon je goes there is nonthing wrong becasue my teeth are fine but he doesnt want to take x rays becasuse it would be harmful. Is anyone else going through the same problem or can help me out

caraaemil

#63 Post by caraaemil »

[quote=bracejks post_id=495133 time=1498143379 user_id=28223]
[quote="jawregret1"][quote="bracejks"][quote="jawregret1"]

How are you doing now? Did the tooth show improve at all?[/quote]

Hi, jawregret1,

How are you going, my doctor suggested me to use brace to extrude the upper teeth down and tipping more forward to improve it, but i don't know how much will improve still, but there are some cases fixed by this way, hopefully mine as well.
[/quote]

Hi did this solution work for you?? I might consider this instead of downgrafting as my surgeon and orthodontist are highly disapproving of a revision surgery.... did your doctor mention anything about possible damage to front teeth as a result of extruding them?

LostMyFace

#64 Post by LostMyFace »

@jawregret1
I've had the same problem after my first surgery. My surgeon talked me into saying hes only gonna fix my lower jaw and instead he went on to fix my upper jaw as well. It has almost moved 8mm up.
1.nose flared up
2.upper teeth not showing
3. Forward autorotation
4.lower jawline lost
5. Genioplasty ruined the jawline further
My teeth are completely hiding under my upper lip. Auto rotation has made my face look protruding.
Im gonna ask for a reversal. Its been 3months post op and its very depressing indeed. How i wish i never stepped into that operating room that morning. Its devastating!
But to answer the main question, I heard double jaw surgeries can be reversed. Required meticulous planning. With ConeBeam CT.
Also distraction osteogenesis is a better option over bone grafting.

Emilylees

#65 Post by Emilylees »

Did anyone get their upper jaw moved down? Was it through bone grafting? What is distraction osteogenesis? I am also in the same boat that my teeth will not show after impaction. Another surgeon told me that moving it forward would ruin my side profile and give me a protruded mouth. I did the IVRO method. Would it be possible to do revision surgery with this method?

jsurgerya

#66 Post by jsurgerya »

I don’t know either, I also regret impaction and am looking to seek consults for revision. People here don’t seem to ever update if they are satisfied with their revision or if they decided not to pursue it.

Emilylees

#67 Post by Emilylees »

[quote=jsurgerya post_id=509477 time=1625202351 user_id=33184]
I don’t know either, I also regret impaction and am looking to seek consults for revision. People here don’t seem to ever update if they are satisfied with their revision or if they decided not to pursue it.
[/quote]
I am also reconsidering surgery so I would like to know if it is worth paying extra money to fix. How much was yours impacted?

ScottyB

#68 Post by ScottyB »

I had the same thing done to me years ago. Supposed to be only lower jaw moved forward but it ended up in impaction as well. Result was over impacted, zero tooth show at rest. Have to smile like a crazy person to show my teeth which then makes my nose huge and the skin bunches badly under my eyes. Not what i was expecting! Not sure I can be bothered with the whole surgery thing again and finding someone to do a revision is difficult in the UK.

jsurgerya

#69 Post by jsurgerya »

Emilylees wrote:
> [quote=jsurgerya post_id=509477 time=1625202351 user_id=33184]
> I don’t know either, I also regret impaction and am looking to seek
> consults for revision. People here don’t seem to ever update if they are
> satisfied with their revision or if they decided not to pursue it.
> [/quote]
> I am also reconsidering surgery so I would like to know if it is worth
> paying extra money to fix. How much was yours impacted?

Mine was impacted 5mm. It was also widened and moved forward 4mm

jsurgerya

#70 Post by jsurgerya »

ScottyB wrote:
> I had the same thing done to me years ago. Supposed to be only lower jaw
> moved forward but it ended up in impaction as well. Result was over
> impacted, zero tooth show at rest. Have to smile like a crazy person to
> show my teeth which then makes my nose huge and the skin bunches badly
> under my eyes. Not what i was expecting! Not sure I can be bothered with
> the whole surgery thing again and finding someone to do a revision is
> difficult in the UK.

I feel the exact same way. I only do closed mouth smiles for this reason. Whenever I realize I smile with my mouth open, I immediately try to close it because I know it won’t look good.

Parents have said that some people just don’t look good smiling with their mouth open and that it’s not a big deal. But it really is to me. Perhaps if I was born with a short face, I wouldn’t be so depressed.

But going from a full tooth smile to a no tooth smile hurts so much.