Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Avrilinvan6

Re: Reversing jaw surgery: has anyone ever heard of this?

#46 Post by Avrilinvan6 »

I had my reversing surgery on Apr 18. 4mm downgraft to gain tooth show, no other movement. The result is as expected now I have around 2-2.5mm tooth show(pre-op is -2mm). I've bothered with this problem for two and half years now I feel really happy.

jawregret1

#47 Post by jawregret1 »

Avrilinvan6 wrote:I had my reversing surgery on Apr 18. 4mm downgraft to gain tooth show, no other movement. The result is as expected now I have around 2-2.5mm tooth show(pre-op is -2mm). I've bothered with this problem for two and half years now I feel really happy.
Oh, cool! I have a few questions.

Did your nose change with the reversal surgery, and how do your lower teeth show now?

I wish you a speedy and good recovery! :)

Avrilinvan6

#48 Post by Avrilinvan6 »

Thank you for saying so. Sorry English is not my first language I try to explain things clear.

My nose didn't change at all. i also confirmed this with my parents and friends, and they all agreed.

Now my lower tooth show is 3/4 of my lower teeth length. So it does improved. And my lower lip is still swollen and rolling downward, so I hope later it'll improve more.

Hope you good luck with your surgery too!!!

jawregret1

#49 Post by jawregret1 »

Thanks for answering!

Did your nose change after the first surgery? If it did, you mean that your nose stayed like after the 1st surgery, not your original pre-op nose?

bracejks

#50 Post by bracejks »

i'm in similar situation as you as well, but my is much more worse i had second surgery and still not able to show my upper teeth enough. First surgery over impacted, then i went for another surgeon who recommended only move forward the upper jaw no bone grafting, but is improved, still not enough tooth show, what to do now... :(

jawregret1

#51 Post by jawregret1 »

bracejks wrote:i'm in similar situation as you as well, but my is much more worse i had second surgery and still not able to show my upper teeth enough. First surgery over impacted, then i went for another surgeon who recommended only move forward the upper jaw no bone grafting, but is improved, still not enough tooth show, what to do now... :(
You had it only moved forward, not down?

What did you have in your first surgery? Double jaw surgery? Genio? How much were you impacted?

bracejks

#52 Post by bracejks »

[quote="jawregret1"][quote="bracejks"]i'm in similar situation as you as well, but my is much more worse i had second surgery and still not able to show my upper teeth enough. First surgery over impacted, then i went for another surgeon who recommended only move forward the upper jaw no bone grafting, but is improved, still not enough tooth show, what to do now... :([/quote]

What did you have in your first surgery? Double jaw surgery? Genio? How much were you impacted?[/quote]

First surgery was impacted 2.5, and moved back 3mm plus clockwise rotated to fix my long face and slight protrusion , i didn't have gummy smile, second surgery with another surgeon who suggested just moved forward 4.5mm and ensure me that it will have more teeth show, now it has been 6 month, it does show a little bit more now when i'm talking very aggressively, but still not enough, and almost zero when i'm talking softly... jawregret1 your revision just only operate upper right?

jawregret1

#53 Post by jawregret1 »

bracejks wrote:
jawregret1 wrote:
bracejks wrote:i'm in similar situation as you as well, but my is much more worse i had second surgery and still not able to show my upper teeth enough. First surgery over impacted, then i went for another surgeon who recommended only move forward the upper jaw no bone grafting, but is improved, still not enough tooth show, what to do now... :(

What did you have in your first surgery? Double jaw surgery? Genio? How much were you impacted?
First surgery was impacted 2.5, and moved back 3mm plus clockwise rotated to fix my long face and slight protrusion , i didn't have gummy smile, second surgery with another surgeon who suggested just moved forward 4.5mm and ensure me that it will have more teeth show, now it has been 6 month, it does show a little bit more now when i'm talking very aggressively, but still not enough, and almost zero when i'm talking softly... jawregret1 your revision just only operate upper right?
If the upper jaw was brought forward but the lower not touched, doesn't that affect your bite? Did you have braces for the revision?

And I'm not entirely sure what my revision will consist of. Possibly upper and genio.

bracejks

#54 Post by bracejks »

[quote="jawregret1"][quote="bracejks"][quote="jawregret1"]

What did you have in your first surgery? Double jaw surgery? Genio? How much were you impacted?[/quote]

First surgery was impacted 2.5, and moved back 3mm plus clockwise rotated to fix my long face and slight protrusion , i didn't have gummy smile, second surgery with another surgeon who suggested just moved forward 4.5mm and ensure me that it will have more teeth show, now it has been 6 month, it does show a little bit more now when i'm talking very aggressively, but still not enough, and almost zero when i'm talking softly... jawregret1 your revision just only operate upper right?[/quote]

If the upper jaw was brought forward but the lower not touched, doesn't that affect your bite? Did you have braces for the revision?

And I'm not entirely sure what my revision will consist of. Possibly upper and genio.[/quote]

When is your scheduled for the revision, try to make sure what they will do in the revision clearly and don't let them mess up. i'm still in the middle of discussion with my doc, because he asked me to wait few more months and exercise my upper lip hope to improve, i hope it will be only operate upper not both again...i'm prepared anything i could to make my tooth show again when talking even a lip lift....because it is so weird talking without tooth showing..

jawregret1

#55 Post by jawregret1 »

bracejks wrote:
jawregret1 wrote:
bracejks wrote:

And I'm not entirely sure what my revision will consist of. Possibly upper and genio.
When is your scheduled for the revision, try to make sure what they will do in the revision clearly and don't let them mess up. i'm still in the middle of discussion with my doc, because he asked me to wait few more months and exercise my upper lip hope to improve, i hope it will be only operate upper not both again...i'm prepared anything i could to make my tooth show again when talking even a lip lift....because it is so weird talking without tooth showing..

How are you doing now? Did the tooth show improve at all?

bracejks

#56 Post by bracejks »

Hi, jawregret1,

How are you going, my doctor suggested me to use brace to extrude the upper teeth down and tipping more forward to improve it, but i don't know how much will improve still, but there are some cases fixed by this way, hopefully mine as well.

bracejks

#57 Post by bracejks »

[quote="jawregret1"][quote="bracejks"][quote="jawregret1"]

How are you doing now? Did the tooth show improve at all?[/quote]

Hi, jawregret1,

How are you going, my doctor suggested me to use brace to extrude the upper teeth down and tipping more forward to improve it, but i don't know how much will improve still, but there are some cases fixed by this way, hopefully mine as well.

Eranthe

#58 Post by Eranthe »

Hello jawregret, I've been following your story and was just wondering how you are now?

I am in the same situation as you and I really feel for you. I have been left with less than zero tooth-show and I am extremely depressed and struggling. I have asked my surgeon for a revision maxillary down-graft but he doesn't want to do it because a) there is a high relapse rate with down-grafting, and b) he says it's not possible to down-graft the maxilla without bringing the lower jaw further forward because the down-graft movement would force the mandible to rotate backwards (and neither of us want to risk further nerve damage to the mandible).

I have no idea if either of these things are true, or if they are serious enough concerns to warrant not having a revision ... so I thought I would ask your or perhaps others who are following this thread if they could offer any insight? Many thanks ...

Zola

#59 Post by Zola »

[quote=Avrilinvan6 post_id=493320 time=1493165301 user_id=29764]
I had my reversing surgery on Apr 18. 4mm downgraft to gain tooth show, no other movement. The result is as expected now I have around 2-2.5mm tooth show(pre-op is -2mm). I've bothered with this problem for two and half years now I feel really happy.
[/quote]

Hi I hope you read this! Did your face change back to how it was before? I too was impacted and have a much shorter face now. I hope to get my normal face back also did your nose become wider after the surgery?

Zola

#60 Post by Zola »

[quote=jawregret1 post_id=486170 time=1476369326 user_id=28199]
I'm a 21 year old female.

I had an overbite that was camouflaged with braces, but then my ortho said I would look better with jaw surgery and then my bite would be truly class 1. Also, ortho suggested lower jaw only but the surgeon went all out rearranging my whole face.

I really regret it. I would choose my slightly recessed chin from before over what I ended up with.

I know a surgeon won't reverse it 100% to my bad bite, but I know I want the maxilla reversed (setback and downgraft) to what it was before, and genioplasty reversed. Then the mandible could be adjusted. I want the revision to essentially do what would have been done had I ONLY had a lower jaw advancement.
[/quote]

Hi jawregret,
Can you please sent me a private message at Zola_lola1@hotmail.com?
I am in the same position as yours and would really want to know what you did and how everything went? Please of you can contact me it would be so so nice. I don't know how to send a private message from this forum