Shortening the midface on a non-gummy smile?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

longmidfaced

Shortening the midface on a non-gummy smile?

#1 Post by longmidfaced »

Hi.

As you can tell from my username, I consider my midface to be in the longer side.

I'm soon going to get braces and a palate expander. While I am not certain if I have any significant bite problems and in fact neither do I have a gummy smile, excessive incisor show at rest nor do I have a long philtrum , I'm quite bothered by the appearance of my elongated face. I'm certain it isn't the only facial trait thing that is "bringing me down" but I strongly feel that it's something that if I was able to correct, it would make a significant difference to my facial harmony.
Here's a picture of my current face :

http://i.imgur.com/YN6fCjO.jpg

I've read about the LeFort I maxillary impaction that theoretically helps shorten a long midface and correct a gummy smile, but I've also read that the length of the midface doesn't get noticeably shorter. I'd appreciate it if a fellow member here who has had impaction can tell us about their experience.

To put it simply, I want to know if it's possible for me to surgically achieve a compact midface, a middle third length similar to the guy's below :

http://hairstyles.thehairstyler.com/hai ... -Zylka.jpg

Another question which is more general is how many millimeters of impaction can make a significant change in the length of the midface. Would 2 or 3 millimeters be enough in a case of, let's say, not excessively gummy smile?

Thank you for your time and pardon me if this post got a little longer than you expected ! :mrgreen:

mmkay

Re: Shortening the midface on a non-gummy smile?

#2 Post by mmkay »

The distance between the end of your nose on the sides (ignoring the hook) and the top of your lip looks long to me, at least compared to the distance between the bottom of your lip and your chin.

But if you don't have excessive incisor display at rest, an impaction could really age you in that respect.

longmidfaced

#3 Post by longmidfaced »

[quote="mmkay"]The distance between the end of your nose on the sides (ignoring the hook) and the top of your lip looks long to me, at least compared to the distance between the bottom of your lip and your chin.

But if you don't have excessive incisor display at rest, an impaction could really age you in that respect.[/quote]

Hi and thank you for your reply.

What you're actually saying is that I have a long philtrum compared to my chin. It's true that I have a quite vertically short chin but I'm not so sure about the philtrum being on the longer side.

In fact , I really wish my philtrum is actually long because then I think a lip lift is all I need to address my issues.

mmkay

#4 Post by mmkay »

It also looked long to me in absolute terms, but hard to tell in a picture, hence the caveat. You can crack out a ruler and measure it from the base of the nose (side) :) Same for distance between pupil and base of nose (side).

longmidfaced

#5 Post by longmidfaced »

[quote="mmkay"]
It also looked long to me in absolute terms, but hard to tell in a picture, hence the caveat. You can crack out a ruler and measure it from the base of the nose (side) :) Same for distance between pupil and base of nose (side).
[/quote]

Ok, here we go :

Base of nose to top of upper lip : 14 mm
Pupil to the base of the nose : 52 mm

What's the verdict?

mmkay

#6 Post by mmkay »

That is not long at all (15mm or so is ideal I think), not sure you're measuring it correctly :)

In terms of the eyes to nose measurement, no idea if that's long, was just meaning to point out that's something for you to think about because it isn't going to change with surgery THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR..

glennstanzalone

#7 Post by glennstanzalone »

If you're correct in your measurements, 15mm is within the ideal for men. If you don't have a gummy smile that means you don't have vertical maxillary excess and by definition do not have a disproportionate midface that a lefort would fix. You're bone structure honestly looks fine. Maybe a rhinoplasty would help give you a less bulbous nose but....idk man it seems excessive to want jaw surgery. Also, beware that SARPE or palate expanders might fill out your cheeks so you won't have that nice hollowed look that you do now. Just an FYI!
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

underbitewars

#8 Post by underbitewars »

I think you look good, and I think if you start messing with things, you're gonna regret it. I don't find your sample guy all that attractive--especially not his nose.

sarzo14

#9 Post by sarzo14 »

I think you have a long nose, but as far as surgery I don't think they an do what you want. I think the guy you posted in the sample picture looks a lot more disproportionate than you do. you have a good bone structure and with your cheekbones you look handome.

uneunsae

#10 Post by uneunsae »

I agree with the above. :)

Lostfaith

#11 Post by Lostfaith »

Please please do NOT ever have a impaction done, as someone that's had one the results can be truly awful, it's made me look old with no tooth show and I'm having a revision and graft to correct it . It ruins your face don't do it