have any postops been told not to get the surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Seasaltmind

have any postops been told not to get the surgery

#1 Post by Seasaltmind »

Ive had lip incomptence and an overbite since my teens as well as worsening jaw pain and grinding. One doctor agreed that i needed double jaw surgery. Another doctor said no that my teeth are perfect and he would not do anything to me. He did however suggest lip surgery to make my upper lip longer. This seems stupid to me because my lip would be ridiculously long. Wouldnt double jaw surgery just fix my lip incompetence? He disnt even address the pain or chin strain. I am seeing a new doctor tomorrow and hopefully he agrees wih me that i need the surgery.

Has anyone else been told not to get surgery but did and liked the results?

Sarah96

Re: have any postops been told not to get the surgery

#2 Post by Sarah96 »

If you have an overbite, even though your teeth are straight, it's a problem. But it doesn't mean you need a surgery itself. It can be corrected with orthodontics sometimes.
As much as i know, there is no way to make upper lip longer. I know, because i do have a short upper lip and i've consulted with a plastic surgeon. He said it's not possible to make your upper lip longer.
If your lip incompetence is due to your wrong jaw position, then surgery will help. If your jaws are in correct position, maybe your chin is small and a chin surgery may help.
Good luck.