Recovery assistance

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Teigyr

Recovery assistance

#1 Post by Teigyr »

I am supposed to have surgery in a year. It is class II meaning only my lower jaw is affected. There are some who say (my orthodontist, for one) that he hears it is no worse than wisdom teeth being removed. My surgeon says, however, that for the first week I should not be alone. I'm not so sure it is that I am incapable, I think he worries about people becoming depressed.

I know that there are eating concerns and it is difficult to get nutrients being on a liquid diet. I am also pretty independant. My family is out of state and while I have friends up here, I would rather be at home. Has anyone gone through this without assistance?

This isn't for a year but I guess I just want to know all I need to know. I recover from things quickly which is an asset but I also get a bit worked up over stuff and I could see that happening especially if I can't eat.

Thank you! I am gathering any and all information so please, any advice you can share is very much appreciated.

Joanne

recovery assistance

#2 Post by Joanne »

Yahoo! groups has an awesome message board. It consists of people who are pre-op and post-op etc. It's been a real help to me.
You will need some help when you get home. There may be lingering effects from the anesthesia, you won't be eating nearly as much as you're used to and there will be a period of adjustment. Much of your body's energy will be focused on healing.
Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to my surgery in about a year, and I have my mom here to help :)
Hope this helps.
~Joanne

crstal g

Minor assistance

#3 Post by crstal g »

I was in the hospital until Friday night and my surgery had been Wednesday morning. I was not left alone in the hospital for the first 24 hours and then I was okay after that. At home I was alone and I went on with most of my regular activities, except anything that required me to bend over was a little difficult. I healed just fine and never had nay pain. as for the eating part milkshakes were good and so was soup broth, anything that goes up a straw. I was not eating solid food for four weeks but they went by faster than I thought they would. It has been just over two months and my recovery is right on schedule.

nvcarissa

Comment and question for the Docs...

#4 Post by nvcarissa »

Teigyr, you and I are having the same surgery at about the same time. We should track each other in about a year to see who gets it done first.

I won't be alone, but I imagine the depression that may come might have something to do with the swelling that you will go through. Your face might look pretty strange and there might be a fear that it won't go back to normal. In addition, there will be numbness...again, fear that it won't correct. I have watched shows where people have gotten plastic surgery and most often they go into the surgery very happy and optimistic, but come out on the other side freaked out and wondering why the heck they did this. Of course, this is always a temporary reaction, but in the immediate days after their surgery, many are totally convinced that they did the wrong thing.
anything that goes up a straw
I will be having wisdom teeth removed at the time of my surgery. I understand that one should not use a straw after having wisdom teeth removed. I think I might lose a lot of weight that week!

Doctors...how am I going to be able to rinse my sockets, and how am I going to be able to consume any sustenance if I can't use a straw? Or will the OS stitch me up to avoid this problem?
Last edited by nvcarissa on Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Joanne

straw

#5 Post by Joanne »

You should be getting instructions from your doctor how long to avoid using a straw. I got very specific written instructions. When I had two wisdom teeth removed 4 yrs ago, i had stitches. if there are no stitches, the standard instructions are don't use a straw for the 1st 24 hrs afterward so that the clots can form.
~Joanne

Teigyr

#6 Post by Teigyr »

nvcarissa, let's definitely keep in touch around that time. Are you doing upper/lower? Or just one? Mine is lower only.

crystal, 4 weeks seems like a long time. It went by quickly? How did you feel during that time?

I've read the message boards. A common theme is nausea from the anesthetic. I guess because it's difficult to eat, it's difficult to get rid of that feeling.

Re the depression, I think it is because of the swelling. My surgeon said to get outside even if it's just to sit in the yard. I'll probably start going for walks as early as possible after the surgery. I'm one of those functional people who really don't care what I look like when I work out! So, I'll be puffy and bruised. The numbness will take some getting used to. I hear that is very common and takes a while to go away.

Jane

crstal g

#7 Post by crstal g »

Yes four weeks was a long time and I was constantly hungry. That was my own fault though, as I am a very fussy eater and was only consuming the milkshakes and chicken noodle soup broth. I also was told not to eat through a straw at first but the swelling prevented food from going to the back of my teeth (which was the only other way to get food in) and the space the ortho created between the second and third teeth was big enough to get liquid in. I had no signs of depression and went back to work within three weeks. Right now I still have to squish a hot dog or hamburger to get it into my mouth as it is still not able to be opened as wide as it used to be, but I see a difference every week. And there is no feeling in my chin and lower gums but I see a small change every week as well. My surgeon said the feeling my take up to a year to come back. I am adjusting well and learning how to control the drool.