Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Post Reply
Message
Author
Class2geo
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#1 Post by Class2geo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:41 pm

I noticed there's a lot more before and after pics/videos on the Internet of class 3 underbite then class 2 overbite. For those who have went through class 2 jaw surgery can you tell me you're experience and show some pics? Would really appreciate it.

jaime
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 am
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Contact:

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#2 Post by jaime » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:54 am

As a fellow class II person, I totally agree with you.

Feel free to check out my blog (link in my signature). I went through double jaw surgery and sliding genioplasty for my class II. I posted lots of photos in my surgery recovery posts.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Lala082008
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#3 Post by Lala082008 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:23 am

Hi Jaime, I just checked out your blog - your before and after photos look really great! It looks like you've had a huge transformation already from the time you started out.

I have a question about your sliding genioplasty. My oral surgeon has recommended that I get a BSSO and SG (for my overbite/underdeveloped lower jaw). But I'm not sure whether to get the SG (both because of the added cost, which insurance won't cover, and because I don't know if I'll like the way it changes my face). Did you ever consider not getting a sliding genioplasty? Did the surgeon give you any advice about it? Are you happy that you got one?

I know surgeon said he would show me some computer generated images about what I would look with and without it, but that won't be until much closer to my surgery.

Class2geo
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#4 Post by Class2geo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:09 pm

[quote="jaime"]As a fellow class II person, I totally agree with you.

Feel free to check out my blog (link in my signature). I went through double jaw surgery and sliding genioplasty for my class II. I posted lots of photos in my surgery recovery posts.[/quote]

I seen you mr blog before. Great results I hope I get a similar outcome!

User avatar
Mart
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:25 am
Location: south west UK

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#5 Post by Mart » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Interesting question, from what I've read class 3 bites are less common than class 2, which only seems to add to the mystery. Perhaps it could be because the before and after photos for class 3 tend to be more dramatic, and therefore the patient is more likely to post the results online and viewers are more likely to share them?

It could also be that those who have a class 3 bite are more likely to pursue surgery because it is harder to hide than a class 2? So there might be more Class 2 bites in the general population but proportionally less pursue the surgery?
Image

jaime
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 am
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Contact:

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#6 Post by jaime » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:47 am

Lala082008 wrote:Hi Jaime, I just checked out your blog - your before and after photos look really great! It looks like you've had a huge transformation already from the time you started out.

I have a question about your sliding genioplasty. My oral surgeon has recommended that I get a BSSO and SG (for my overbite/underdeveloped lower jaw). But I'm not sure whether to get the SG (both because of the added cost, which insurance won't cover, and because I don't know if I'll like the way it changes my face). Did you ever consider not getting a sliding genioplasty? Did the surgeon give you any advice about it? Are you happy that you got one?

I know surgeon said he would show me some computer generated images about what I would look with and without it, but that won't be until much closer to my surgery.
Thanks so much for the positive comment, I appreciate that!

Admittedly I was weirded out by the suggestion for SG at first, but I figured my surgeon wouldn't do it unless it was necessary, so I went with it. I've actually been really pleased I got it. I never realized before all this that I had a weak chin. I was told I had a good "chin butt" that concealed how weak my chin really was, but I've been really pleased with the results.

Was it explained to you why you would need a SG? Typically it's for lip support. If your lips are parted at rest, it may not improve without the SG (but that's for your surgeon to decide). Mine are still slightly parted at rest but I imagine it'll improve a bit when the braces are off.

Anyway, hopefully the computer generated images will show you the possible results with or without. The crappy thing about sliding genio is that permanent nerve weirdness is very common. I am not completely numb but the fleshy part of my chin only has about 50% feeling, and the scar tissue inside feels tight. Neither of those things bother me but if you can get a decent result without SG, I would be inclined to skip it. I think the risks are pretty much equivalent to the benefits, from my experience.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

adorkable8605
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:51 am

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#7 Post by adorkable8605 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:56 pm

Here's my favorite blog of someone who had a class 2 malocclusion and underwent jaw surgery.

http://timetoembraceit.blogspot.com/

wilechile
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#8 Post by wilechile » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:11 pm

Mart wrote:Interesting question, from what I've read class 3 bites are less common than class 2, which only seems to add to the mystery. Perhaps it could be because the before and after photos for class 3 tend to be more dramatic, and therefore the patient is more likely to post the results online and viewers are more likely to share them?

It could also be that those who have a class 3 bite are more likely to pursue surgery because it is harder to hide than a class 2? So there might be more Class 2 bites in the general population but proportionally less pursue the surgery?
this is interesting!! to me, though, class 2 surgeries that involve advancing or augmenting the lower jaw and chin can create really drastic changes in the patient's facial structure. i guess it depends

User avatar
Mart
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:25 am
Location: south west UK

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#9 Post by Mart » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Class2geo wrote:I noticed there's a lot more before and after pics/videos on the Internet of class 3 underbite then class 2 overbite.
I've just done some very unscientific tallying and I'm not sure if the OP's opening statement is true. I searched google images for 'before and after jaw surgery' images and out of the first 20 image results 11 were 'class 2', 5 were 'class 3', and the remaining 4 were either cross bites or open bites. So this means that over 50% of the images were class 2.
Image

Class2geo
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#10 Post by Class2geo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm

@mart I mostly checked on YouTube

aep4pDC
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#11 Post by aep4pDC » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Did any of the class II bites on here get bicuspid extractions prior to the surgery? If so, were there any complications/regrets with your extractions? Just curious since there is a good amount of controversy about these extractions and potential negative side effects.

Thanks!

MagnoliaMama
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#12 Post by MagnoliaMama » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Jaime! Girl, I love your blog and YouTube posts. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. You've kept me (virtual) company during my nights of fragmented sleep in these first couple of weeks post op. :tingrin:
Image

Segmental LeFort I and BSSO at 34 years old, 8 months after being back in braces for the third time. First two rounds of ortho were as a kid and teenager. I was originally slated for surgery at 16 until a new orthodontist convinced my parents that she could "fix" me non-surgically. Twenty years and loads of molar wear later...here I am!

jaime
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 am
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Contact:

Re: Before/after pics of class 2 jaw surgery

#13 Post by jaime » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:44 am

MagnoliaMama wrote:Jaime! Girl, I love your blog and YouTube posts. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. You've kept me (virtual) company during my nights of fragmented sleep in these first couple of weeks post op. :tingrin:
Aww that is so sweet! Thank you, I'm so glad my rambling has been helpful!!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Post Reply