INVASILIGN for Jaw Surgery UK??

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

subterfuge

INVASILIGN for Jaw Surgery UK??

#1 Post by subterfuge »

I recently heard of people using invasilign (and sometimes braces that go behind the teeth) in their run-up to jaw surgery, getting the teeth in the proper position.

Does anyone happen to know of anyone in the UK who offers this instead of having to wear regular braces??

thanks

drgnfly

Re: INVASILIGN for Jaw Surgery UK??

#2 Post by drgnfly »

I'm interested in this as well. I'm currently in stainless steel braces both top and bottom, because that's what my ortho said the OMFS preferred. He nixed ceramic braces, because he said that sharp pieces could break off during surgery.

subterfuge

#3 Post by subterfuge »

drgnfly wrote:I'm interested in this as well. I'm currently in stainless steel braces both top and bottom, because that's what my ortho said the OMFS preferred. He nixed ceramic braces, because he said that sharp pieces could break off during surgery.
We always seem to be light years behind the US.
I gather quite a few othos/surgeons offer this (mainly to adults) in the US, but unable to hear a whisper of it being done in the UK from my research so far....

Let me know if you find anything, and i'll do likewise

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

I suppose it's certainly possible, but the range of cases that will be Invisilign-compatible and require orthognathic surgery is not going to be large. Frankly, spending that much time setting up what would no doubt be a very elaborate Invisilign plan (which is what the Invisilign people use to make the trays) is more than most orthos want to do; and they'd charge accordingly.

FWIW, my oral surgeon didn't want anything but steel braces either. Apparently they put a LOT of force on the hooks during surgery and while it wouldn't be fatal to the operation to have something break or come loose, neither would it be exactly an ideal situation either.