Thoughts on whether to get a genioplasty

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lala082008

Thoughts on whether to get a genioplasty

#1 Post by Lala082008 »

I met with my oral surgeon for the first time yesterday. He said I was a candidate for jaw surgery and that he would recommend a BSSO and a genioplasty with bone graft. I have an overbite/overjet and my lower jaw is too small. He said that the genioplasty would (I think) move my chin forward and tilt it a bit.

But then he unfortunately told me that insurance doesn't cover the genio at all because it is considered cosmetic! The cost for the genio would $4500, with insurance (hopefully) paying for the rest. I asked him if I could just get the BSSO and he said yes, and that before the surgery he could show me several models of what I would likely look with each option.

Has anyone else struggled with whether to get the genioplasty? Certainly the financial piece is a big consideration (and I'm already paying $4500 for my Invisalign) but I also don't want to look TOO different after the surgery. Of course, I do want a stronger chin (right now I'd say I have a weak chin), but I also don't want to be unrecognizable, so I feel like the genioplasty might be overkill. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

CandyApple

Re: Thoughts on whether to get a genioplasty

#2 Post by CandyApple »

You could also get a chin implant if you feel your chin is too small. Do you have a pic? I feel like I have plenty of chin and they did not say I need the genie. Im glad because its one more thing to recover from. I have also seen people on here regret the genio. Obviously its up to you and your surgeon just sharing what I have seen so far.

marcus3415

#3 Post by marcus3415 »

From my experience, it is really important to consider your Chin right now as it is. If you are a girl, a softer profile is sought after. A male the opposite.

I went through with it and don't regret the decision but I wish my surgeon didn't advance as much as be did.

Either way I would ask your surgeon what his measurements are and to underproject either way. It is better to have it be less than it should be than more than it should be.

Lala082008

#4 Post by Lala082008 »

Thank you so much for your replies. I'd never really thought about whether I liked my chin itself, just that I dislike my too-small lower jaw. Here is a profile pic of my profile. I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone about whether they think a genio would look good. I guess I'd say I'd lean towards not getting one, because I think my jaw is the main problem, but I'm definitely not sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CandyApple

#5 Post by CandyApple »

Just from what I see it looks like you have a fairly good amount of chin. Some guys want a really strong chin but if you don't want to look too different then I would wait on the genio, because you can always do it later if you think you need more

Lala082008

#6 Post by Lala082008 »

That's good to hear! Don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm female, so I don't want an overly strong chin.

CandyApple

#7 Post by CandyApple »

Thats what I thought but when you said you thought your chin was too small in the first post I thought maybe you were male (because they are usually the ones wanting a bigger chin/jaw) It was hard to tell only seeing a chin..lol

glennstanzalone

#8 Post by glennstanzalone »

I've heard the chin should ideally be 2mm behind the line of your bottom lip. Can't see your photos but I'm def considering one!