Reversal of Lefort I for Underbite ? CHIMP LOOKALIKE NOW

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Valozz

Reversal of Lefort I for Underbite ? CHIMP LOOKALIKE NOW

#1 Post by Valozz »

Hello,

I got upper jaw surgery lefort I advancement (5mm) for an underbite about 3 weeks ago, and I feel like I absolutely ruined my face. O god... I look like a chimp now and my nose is piggy like and huge, I am so depressed right now.

I do not know whether my facial features cannot handle a lefort I ? or if the surgeon moved my upper jaw too far ? or if this atrocious look is due to swelling ( however since most of the swelling is gone I doubt I will look dramatically different from 3 weeks to 6 months after the swelling goes down).

***For anyone who has gotten a reversal of lefort I did you end up look like your old self again ? ***

jaime

Re: Reversal of Lefort I for Underbite ? CHIMP LOOKALIKE NOW

#2 Post by jaime »

As someone who had jaw surgery, I can tell you that at 3 weeks, you are nowhere near the end result yet. You might think most of your swelling is gone but I can tell you're swollen from your photos and I've never seen your face before now. I have photos of me at 3 weeks post-op and I look different from now (I'm 6.5 months post op).

Your nose will lose some more swelling. My surgeon told me that people should wait a year after surgery before deciding anything about their face. It's totally normal to have residual swelling for about a year. I always think my swelling is gone but when I look back on previous photos, it is plain as day that I was still swollen.

That said, I don't see what you're talking about. You're a pretty girl, you're just swollen right now. My advice to you is try and relax. Next time you see your ortho, bring up your concerns. I'm sure he or she will be able to point out what might change as your swelling goes down.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

I second what Jaime said. It looks like you still have a fair bit of residual swelling in your upper lip and around your nose. That's completely normal at 3 weeks post-op. Has it actually gotten WORSE over the last few days? If it has, maybe you have an infection. If not, it's probably just regular post-op swelling. Relax 8)
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Valozz

#4 Post by Valozz »

Thank you both for your reply, 2 more weeks in and the swelling is getting better ...

samoorelaw

#5 Post by samoorelaw »

I had the same procedure done and also had the piggy nose. Most of my swelling didn't go away until at least month 3, and it took about 6 months for most of it to go away. Now my nose looks mostly like it did pre-op, although I think it looks a bit better now with a slight upturn. You have a long way to go so don't worry too much.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!