Has Anyone had Plate Removal?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

javisst

Has Anyone had Plate Removal?

#1 Post by javisst »

Was just wondering if there's anyone who had their hardware removed after orthognathic surgery. If so, did your jaw feel better after the plates and screws were removed? I'm wondering whether to have my hardware removed and would like to hear from others who have done so. Thanks!

sirwired

Re: Has Anyone had Plate Removal?

#2 Post by sirwired »

It's common in Europe to do this as a matter of routine. In the US, it's generally done on an as-needed basis after evaluation by the OMFS. (As in, screws backing out, loose plates, etc.)

But in either case, if you are having issues, you need evaluation by your OMFS.

aubreyskingdom

#3 Post by aubreyskingdom »

Since I can feel one of my plates through my skin I was told I can schedule the plate removal surgery at a later date if I wanted to. Not sure that it would be worth it if it's another major surgery though. I'd also like to hear feedback from others who have gotten it done.

javisst

#4 Post by javisst »

My issue is tightness in my chin after sliding genioplasty in February 2014. I had Botox injections but that didn't help so my surgeon says that the only thing left to do is to remove the plate and see if that helps, although he thinks that the plate isn't the issue.

Eranthe

#5 Post by Eranthe »

I was wondering about this too, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. I have had constant pain around my lower RHS mandible plate ... it hurts to touch the skin or lightly press against the plate, it even hurts to eat, smile, yawn etc. My surgeon has asked me to wait a little longer for the bones to heal properly and then we are going to remove it. He says it is a common procedure in cold climates as the plates get very cold/freeze, and that it is a very simple and short procedure ... not unlike wisdom teeth removal and nothing at all like jaw surgery. I will definitely be doing this as once my bones have healed.

Nozzelnut

#6 Post by Nozzelnut »

I haven't had a plate removed, but I did have 3 screws on the side of my lower jaw removed under local anesthesia. At least one of the 3 screws were starting to "tent" the skin/gums on my tongue side. I did have some swelling for a couple days but nothing even close to the first surgery. And although it wasn't pleasant; it wasn't horrible only having the area numbed and not being knocked out.

Depending on how this winter goes; I might have them remove the rest of the hardware. We had a couple days below freezing and my chin hurt quite a bit from the cold.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

snapdresser

#7 Post by snapdresser »

After reading this thread, yesterday I started poking at my plates to see if any hurt and the right one on my chin was a little tender. I poked at it until now it full-on hurts :roll: I should probably not read these types of threads :lol:
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Valozz

#8 Post by Valozz »

If anyone has had their plates removed , did it help with swelling ? and how long were you swollen again for ?

aubreyskingdom

#9 Post by aubreyskingdom »

Valozz wrote:If anyone has had their plates removed , did it help with swelling ? and how long were you swollen again for ?
I'm three months into my recovery and still have my plates, but I meet with the surgeon next week and am going to ask for them to be removed. When I touch my cheek I can feel pressure horizontally parallel to my nose, quite annoying. I can post back afterwards and let you know how everything goes, just not sure how far out I'll have to wait before they get removed.

Valozz

#10 Post by Valozz »

[quote="aubreyskingdom"][quote="Valozz"]If anyone has had their plates removed , did it help with swelling ? and how long were you swollen again for ?[/quote]

I'm three months into my recovery and still have my plates, but I meet with the surgeon next week and am going to ask for them to be removed. When I touch my cheek I can feel pressure horizontally parallel to my nose, quite annoying. I can post back afterwards and let you know how everything goes, just not sure how far out I'll have to wait before they get removed.[/quote]

Okay thank you please do, I have plates on both sides of my nose and my face slopes up ... looks strange and I'm looking to get my plates removed too !

Kmmm80

#11 Post by Kmmm80 »

My surgeon told me today I might have to have my plates out.. I'm 3 months post surgery, so interested in this topic too!

aubreyskingdom

#12 Post by aubreyskingdom »

I'm getting 2 of my 6 plates removed on April 14, which will bring me 6 months post surgery. Left side of my face is way more stiff, still more puffy than right side. I can't chew on the left side. So I'll let you know how the plate removal goes and hopefully those problems will be resolved afterwards as well.

Sarah96

#13 Post by Sarah96 »

My doctor does not mentioned anything about removal and i don't feel them. But if i get another jaw surgery should i removed them before surgery? Can plate removal and jaw surgery be done at the same time? What do you think?

Colbs20

#14 Post by Colbs20 »

I had my lower right plate and screws removed today. Also had to get the wisdom tooth removed on that side because the plate was pushing it into my other teeth. It has been about 8 hours since I got home from surgery. Surgery would have been completely fine, but something went wrong with my anesthesia so I woke up before the surgery was done and had to tough out about 20 minutes of it awake. 2nd most pain Ive ever been in during my entire life, but not to worry if you are reading this, very very doubtful it will happen to you. Other than that it was a walk in the park. My face is very much more swollen than when I originally had surgery to get the plates in, but it doesn't hurt at all and I haven't touched any pain meds they gave me. Obviously not able to open my mouth very wide but still able to eat soft foods. If it weren't for the horrible swelling, it would even seem that I had surgery today. I'll try and keep updated with how fast the full recovery is and how it feels withy the plate out once the swelling goes down.

jackie123

#15 Post by jackie123 »

I had my plates remover ed after 6 months post surgery. It was a simple of and was not painful. I was swollen only a little fir about 4 days after a week I was back to normal.