August/September surgery buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kelse

August/September surgery buddies

#1 Post by kelse »

Can I kick off an August surgery thread?

I am scheduled for double jaw surgery for my underbite on 10th August. I rang the Secretary today & everything is looking good for that date so fingers crossed!

I have the surgical hooks on my braces now so quite a mouthful - I am used to them now tho. It's just a pain as they catch everything you eat!

So excited to think that in 6 weeks the op will be over & I'll be looking towards recovery :o

Anyone else scheduled for August?

X

kelse

Re: August surgery buddies

#2 Post by kelse »

Told my bosses about my surgery date yesterday and they were really supportive - yay! I've scheduled cover for 2 weeks, then I hope to go back part time to start with.

Hospital appt next week - first of 3 planned before the op :shock:

Hope some more August peeps will come & join me soon :D

bimaxman

#3 Post by bimaxman »

I am scheduled for August 4th. Bimax for sleep apnea and short face syndrome.

adorkable8605

#4 Post by adorkable8605 »

I'm scheduled for double jaw surgery and sliding genioplasty to correct my overbite on August 11th. I am still waiting for confirmation from the surgeon that we are absolutely doing it that day. I haven't set up all the pre-op appointments yet, but I am scheduled for the hooks to be placed on July 28. I'm pretty excited and crazy nervous. I only have two weeks off from school, so let's hope for quick healing.

kelse

#5 Post by kelse »

Hi bimaxman & adorkable!

August 4th - you should be just over the worst as we're heading in to surgery on the 10th & 11th.

It's hard when they're uncertain on date - think mine should go ahead unless surgeon is ill or something like that.

I'm hoping to go back to work after 2 weeks as well, so will be hoping for rapid healing too!

adorkable8605

#6 Post by adorkable8605 »

The uncertainty is driving me crazy. The surgeon had something scheduled for that day and he said he was pretty sure he could reschedule it...I really want to do it August 11th and get this over with...

Did you use a lot of wax with the hooks? How many hooks do you have?

kelse

#7 Post by kelse »

Just counted - I have 21 surgical hooks!!! 10 on top, 11 on bottom. I didn't use any wax - had some sore bits but was fine after a few days. They are no problem but EVERYTHING get stuck behind them so cleaning becomes more laborious.

I'm the same - just want it sorted!

kelse

#8 Post by kelse »

Appt with surgery team today at 2pm. Prob measuring I think - have to wait & see!!

Pondering not having lunch til after to save cleaning behind my hooks so much!!! But don't think I'd last til 3pm :?

kelse

#9 Post by kelse »

Eek! So at my appt today they did measuring & decided movements. My upper jaw will be turned 3mm to the right and 5mm forward. The bottom jaw movements I didn't catch but I thing 2-3 mm back should slot it in nicely behing my top teeth.

They will put the stitch in to minimise nose widening. My nose should lift a bit at the tip bit that's good as it goes down a but at the tip just now.

They don't think I'll be able to go back to work after the two weeks which is a shame, but I suppose it's better to plan in for covering the 3 weeks in advance.

snapdresser

#10 Post by snapdresser »

bimaxman, I also got the surgery for sleep apnea, but it was also treating long face syndrome for me :) Good luck!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

kelse

#11 Post by kelse »

Hey bimaxman

How are you getting on with your pre-op appointments? Have you bought any supplies yet for after your op?

bimaxman

#12 Post by bimaxman »

Actually I haven't as of yet. I have a good blender food processor. Not sure where to get all that other stuff people talk about. I am hoping that I will be told what I will need and where to get it at my pre-op visit. It seems logical that you will not just go in and have surgery then leave to fend for yourself with no advice.

adorkable8605

#13 Post by adorkable8605 »

I got the confirmation today that the surgery will happen August 11 and the insurance approved it! I just have to start doing all the pre-ops. The assistant is out until Monday, so I will schedule everything at that time.

Less than a month until surgery!

JMP75

#14 Post by JMP75 »

Got my date for the end of august :-1

Nozzelnut

#15 Post by Nozzelnut »

bimaxman wrote:Actually I haven't as of yet. I have a good blender food processor. Not sure where to get all that other stuff people talk about. I am hoping that I will be told what I will need and where to get it at my pre-op visit. It seems logical that you will not just go in and have surgery then leave to fend for yourself with no advice.
Actually that's pretty much what happened to me. The instructions they give you the hospital or preop visit will only take you so far. Unless you know the right questions to ask. And any instructions they give you right before you check out from the hospital should be written down; verbal instructions might not be understood; due to painkillers or other drugs.

Very happy I found this website, asked a bunch of questions, and read a bunch of threads. If I didn't do any research prior to surgery I would have been woefully unprepared. Recovery would have been a lot harder and I would have lost even more weight.

ETA Dentakit.com and Amazon have lots of surgery supplies; a sports style squeeze water bottle with spout and a blender were my 2 most used items.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!