CW Rotation vs. CCW Rotation

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pstee22

CW Rotation vs. CCW Rotation

#1 Post by pstee22 »

Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of research on how a clockwise (CW) rotation of the upper jaw affects the face vs a counterclockwise rotation (CCW) of the upper jaw and I can't seem to find exact answers.

From my research it seems that a CW rotation can shorten the face appearance and add to the cheek area. Can someone explain to me how this works exactly? Or am I even correct with my findings?

Also, how does a CCW rotation affect the face?

Thank you!

sirwired

Re: CW Rotation vs. CCW Rotation

#2 Post by sirwired »

Rotation about which axis? Can you post a picture with some arrows?

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

I think you have it backwards. I think it's based on a profile looking to the viewer's right, so a CCW rotation would shorten the midface, etc etc. I THINK.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

jawa

#4 Post by jawa »

Most people in my situation have ccw (recessed mandible, slight excess gummy maxilla, sleep apnea) But my occulsal plane is flat. If I had ccw like most people have for osa I would end up with a reverse-smile. From what I understand, when I have my jaws advanced horizontally, my maxilla will be slightly impacted more posteriorly than anteriorly, resulting in a clockwise rotation, giving me a steeper occlusal plane, and a more aesthetic smile, while still creating more room for my airway to increase in size.