Consultation with a ortho or surgeon?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hero878

Consultation with a ortho or surgeon?

#1 Post by Hero878 »

I spoke with my ortho about surgery so he's referred me to a hospital based ortho. I'm just a bit confused as I thought the consult should be with a maxilla facial surgeon rather than an ortho? I suppose this ortho is hospital based though and works alongside surgeons.
Is this right?

Btw in from the UK

sirwired

Re: Consultation with a ortho or surgeon?

#2 Post by sirwired »

I think things work differently in the UK. Rest assured you'll see a surgeon eventually. However, even in the US, it's very common for a patient to not actually see the surgeon until a few weeks before surgery. While it can be helpful to consult with the surgeon ahead of time, it's not necessary in all cases.

Really, the exact movements the surgeon makes are determined by what your ortho does to prep you, not the other way around.

lalcharlie

#3 Post by lalcharlie »

I'm in the UK.
You'll probably meet with hospital ortho first and then later with surgeons.
They all stood around discussing my teeth with their backs to me for a few mins, then told me I needed surgery.. no real detail given. Hey its the NHS and the bedside manner isn't always great, but they get the job done!

Hero878

#4 Post by Hero878 »

Cool thank you for the explanation. I'm my ortho knows what he's doing when referring me for surgery but I had just assumed it was a surgeon. Thanks again

Hero878

#5 Post by Hero878 »

I am just a bit concerned about the othor at the hospital. He did my teeth when I was younger and about 6 years ago I went for a consult about my over jet. He recommended extractions and didn't mention jaw surgery at all.

So now that my current ortho has referred me to him again...I am feeling a bit unsure. My current ortho said he knows this ortho and said he's really good. I told my ortho about my consult with the hospital based ortho where surgery wasn't mentioned. My ortho said maybe coz that was 6 years ago when I was in my early twenties hence my jaw was still changing. At that time my condition could have been borderline for surgery but not anymore.

But my over jet was already 9mm 6 years ago. I have a bad feeling about this like I am going to be wasting my time going back to this ortho. I suppose this time I have the back up of two further consults who both said surgery was my first option option though.
But have a feeling this hospital ortho maybe against surgery and will say something like...if you have no TMJ problems then don't bother with surgery. Or maybe back then 6 years ago I went for a private consult and he wanted the business, coz if he recommended surgery back then then it would have been on the NHS and he'd lose a private client?

snapdresser

#6 Post by snapdresser »

That'd be interesting if your doc says that about the TMJ disorder. I've been told multiple times that the outcome of orthognathic surgery is pretty unpredictable with respect to the TMJ and that a TMJ disorder is not an indicator for that surgery. Nor is the surgery covered by insurance for the purpose of treating a TMJ disorder (of course, you have your bite issues anyways, so that's a non-starter).
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!