June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KaylaChristine

Re: June/July Surgery Buddies

#16 Post by KaylaChristine »

Congrats on your surgery date snapdresser!! :jump: I really worry about my results too, but I'm sure we are worrying for no reason!

I'm in Kansas.

Still waiting on an official date for mine....I see my ortho next Wednesday so hopefully I'll get my date soon. I'm going nuts :crazy:
Braced on October 14, 2014.
Lefort I and vertical ramus osteotomy: June 15, 2015
Braces to be removed January 5, 2017.

snapdresser

#17 Post by snapdresser »

Good luck and keep us posted KaylaChristine! My ortho apt is on Wednesday too :) I got a wicked canker sore from chomping down on the inside of my lip on Saturday so I'm not looking forward to the ortho probing around in there... But no big deal. Did my final sleep study also on Saturday, so that's good to go. Got this ortho appt, my pre-surgical workup with my surgeon, then the treatment plan discussion, and then I'm set for surgery day! What you got left kaylachristine?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

jaime

#18 Post by jaime »

Hey, congrats on the surgery date, snapdresser! It is comforting to know there will be someone posting here whose surgery date is close to mine. I suspect we will become good online friends very soon. :mrgreen:

I am curious to hear whether you end up looking more like one of your male relatives. My sister and I look very much alike (some think we're twins). My sister doesn't have any of the jaw issues that I do, so I'm wondering if I will look more like her after surgery.

In other news, I got a bunch of supplies for post-surgery! I ended up buying stuff through Lynn's online store. I wanted to support this website as it's been very helpful to me for over a year now. I bought one sports squeeze bottle, both sets of Zip-n-Squeezes, and one of the jaw bra things. I only have a few more things to buy (including a blender) and then it'll just be meal prep for me. 5.5 weeks away now...yikes.

Also, to answer your question snapdresser, I'm in SW Ontario, Canada.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

lalcharlie

#19 Post by lalcharlie »

Hijacking this post to say hello to y'all, wish you all the best and to thank Jaime for her wonderful blog without which I would have never have coped with SARPE. I raise my glass in thanks to you! And I look forward to reading and rereading future pages of your blog as I prepare for my double jaw surgery next year.
Good luck everyone. :jump:

snapdresser

#20 Post by snapdresser »

Thanks for the congrats, Jaime :) Congrats to you too on your upcoming surg date!!! Obv you're super excited about it. I can only imagine after a year in braces :shock:

Well, I dunno about you, but I have some old pics (5th grade and prior) where my profile was more standard (before my allergies kicked in, and blah blah blah). If you colorized my dad's pictures from when he was a kid, you could have sworn it was me. So I think I'll probably come out looking a lot like my dad. He's a decent looking guy, and of course he's my dad, so I have no prob looking like him :o :roll: I suppose you'll look a lot like your sister? Did you look just like her when you were kids? Can you pick out the differences in your faces? It's hard, I know lol

Yeah, it'll be awesome having a surgery buddy :D :D I'ma be all "Oh mannnn Jaime! You think Day 3 post-surg is bad, just wait till you get to DAY 4!!!" :mrgreen:

I haven't bought anything. Nothing. I have a blender. I have straws. I was kind of hoping they'd give me a syringe but I guess that's not the case. I guess I should go ahead and look up a supply list and start ordering stuff...
No braces

Nozzelnut

#21 Post by Nozzelnut »

I've heard the straws will be difficult for several days. I've also heard the hospital might/will supply some syringes with the catheter. If you ask nice they might be able to hook you up with a few more.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

snapdresser

#22 Post by snapdresser »

Yup, one of those things I should probably pick up. I think I saw someone recommend one in particular, a bigger size than the hospital gives you, but I forget what it was called.
No braces

jaime

#23 Post by jaime »

Aww lalcharlie, you just made my day! Thank you!

On the topic of syringes, I'm hoping the Zip-n-Squeeze bags will suffice, but I also have my turkey baster from SARPE. That thing was a lifesaver so I suspect it will be useful this time around again.

I was reading some blogs and one blogger mentioned that this sippy cup was extremely helpful. I think I might order one...I just wish it was bigger.
http://www.amazon.com/Sili-Company-Sque ... B00B4X4FBM
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#24 Post by snapdresser »

Nozzelnut, what's the deal with the catheter? I read on a guy's blog that he pulled it out himself on day 2? Is that normal? Lol
No braces

lalcharlie

#25 Post by lalcharlie »

When I had my SARPE the girl in the bed across from had her double jaw op done on the same day. I asked for ice and was told that their policy was not to give it as it can effect circulation to the skin. So no jaw bra for either of us. I noticed they gave us both an ice pack when we asked but ice was not given to reduce swelling unless requested.
She had no catheter. She was expected to eat soup the next day (lentil, her mum fed her with a spoon) was chastised for using a straw to drink water and told to use a cup. She was also told to stop writing notes and talk properly despite her swelling being the 'upper end of normal ' (I listened to the surgeon) as her surgery took an unexpected 7 hours.
Day 2 after surgery and when she asked for strong painkillers she was told she would have to wean herself off them as she would only be getting paracetamol for going home. She and I were both sent home on day 2.
There is no molly codling in the NHS :FeelSick:

snapdresser

#26 Post by snapdresser »

Jeez... The UK sounds pretty brutal about this stuff!
No braces

KaylaChristine

#27 Post by KaylaChristine »

snapdresser wrote:Good luck and keep us posted KaylaChristine! My ortho apt is on Wednesday too :) I got a wicked canker sore from chomping down on the inside of my lip on Saturday so I'm not looking forward to the ortho probing around in there... But no big deal. Did my final sleep study also on Saturday, so that's good to go. Got this ortho appt, my pre-surgical workup with my surgeon, then the treatment plan discussion, and then I'm set for surgery day! What you got left kaylachristine?
I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. And ouch! Get some numbing gel to see if that will help with the pain during your appointment.

Well I'm not sure yet, but hopefully I have the same to look forward to soon. All I know for sure right now is the ortho appointment tomorrow. I'm thinking she might do more molds then as well. I should have my pre-surgical workup with the surgeon soon though. They mentioned it when I was there last.

Edit: I just received a call from the surgeon's office. His assistant just wanted to check in with me. She said she's keeping my chart separate and staying on top of the surgeon/situation so I won't get lost between everyone. She said she'd give me a call by the end of the week. Hopefully I'll have a date the next time she calls.

KaylaChristine

#28 Post by KaylaChristine »

jaime wrote:Aww lalcharlie, you just made my day! Thank you!

On the topic of syringes, I'm hoping the Zip-n-Squeeze bags will suffice, but I also have my turkey baster from SARPE. That thing was a lifesaver so I suspect it will be useful this time around again.

I was reading some blogs and one blogger mentioned that this sippy cup was extremely helpful. I think I might order one...I just wish it was bigger.
http://www.amazon.com/Sili-Company-Sque ... B00B4X4FBM
Thanks for the link to that sippy cup! I wasn't sure which one I should buy. I've already bought a baby tooth brush and baby spoons lol. My post-op supply list is ridiculously long.

Nozzelnut

#29 Post by Nozzelnut »

snapdresser wrote:Nozzelnut, what's the deal with the catheter? I read on a guy's blog that he pulled it out himself on day 2? Is that normal? Lol
Talking about 2 different catheters. Catheter being a tube; it can be used on the end of a syringe or used to remove fluids, like urine, from the body. Guessing that the one he removed.

But the catheter we're talking about is the one on the end of syringes so you can get fluids and some sustenance in behind the molars, while jaws are banded together.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

snapdresser

#30 Post by snapdresser »

KaylaChristine wrote:I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. And ouch! Get some numbing gel to see if that will help with the pain during your appointment.

Well I'm not sure yet, but hopefully I have the same to look forward to soon. All I know for sure right now is the ortho appointment tomorrow. I'm thinking she might do more molds then as well. I should have my pre-surgical workup with the surgeon soon though. They mentioned it when I was there last.

Edit: I just received a call from the surgeon's office. His assistant just wanted to check in with me. She said she's keeping my chart separate and staying on top of the surgeon/situation so I won't get lost between everyone. She said she'd give me a call by the end of the week. Hopefully I'll have a date the next time she calls.
Thanks KaylaChristine! It's feeling a bit better today. I'm gonna see what the ortho says about my potential for SARPE, but I don't think I want it anyways. Hope you get some good news at your appt today! Let us know!
No braces