14 months in braces - next step double jaw surgery (pic)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kelse

14 months in braces - next step double jaw surgery (pic)

#1 Post by kelse »

Hi all

Had my appt with ortho & surgery and I am now on the waiting list for double jaw surgery :-).

So excited to be moving forward.

Will try to attach pic of progress so far.

Thanks for reading :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

divelizard

Re: 14 months in braces - next step double jaw surgery (pic)

#2 Post by divelizard »

That's great Kelsie, I was in braces 20 months before I got my surgery, it is certainly going to be a story you will be able to tell, keep us updated, do you have an idea how long the waitlist is?

kelse

#3 Post by kelse »

Hi dive lizard

Wow 20 months seems a long time but i've heard of some that are years so I suppose it's all relative :-).

I have no idea how long the list is.... It would've been sensible of me to ask, eh? I was just excited to be deemed good to go :-D. They took measurements of my mouth and face and my weight etc so I'm hoping it'll be sometime in the next few months. Maybe it'll be 20 months by then after all :-D

I hope you are happy with your results?

divelizard

#4 Post by divelizard »

"I hope you are happy with your results?"

Um well I'm conflicted, the cosmetic effect is brilliant, I no longer have a double chin and I can breathe really well and it has fixed my snoring problems, but I had a bunch of trouble with severe nerve pain right from the moment I woke up after my surgery, even though my face was full of local anaesthetic.

I had a little improvement over the next month or so, then zero more improvement for the next 10 months although I tried drug therapy and many other things, I finally asked my surgeon if he would take my metal out, he agreed and in the week and a half since the shooting nerve pain is gone and I'm just left with a cold tight feeling in the top half of my chin and the centre of my bottom lip is also numb, but I'm hoping this will continue to improve.

So I can't decide if it was worth it or not, I definitely look better, but if the trade-off is permanent cold/tight numbness, I just don't know :roll:

kelse

#5 Post by kelse »

Oh dear - you've had a really tough time. I'm glad that that pain has eased for you after your latest procedure. Hopefully your numbness begins to ease to