Surgery date set, a few general questions.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tee

Surgery date set, a few general questions.

#1 Post by tee »

I have a date set for lower jaw advancement at the end of February. I've spent the past couple weeks highly anxious. Like, stressed to the point of not eating. I'm feeling a little better now. I'm sure that feeling will come and go because I don't know how you can elect to have a saw taken to your jaw with confidence. :shock:

Again, after leaving the surgeon's office, I feel like I didn't ask enough questions or the right ones. I'm sure these have been answered a million times around here, but maybe a few post-op people can offer their experience:

What sort of pain medication did they give you? Antibiotics? How are they administered? Pills? Because I was told I won't be able to take my itty bitty birth control pill?

What was your oral hygiene routine like? How long before you can brush and floss properly?

Does everyone have a splint after surgery?

How long were you on a liquid diet before you graduated to soft food? How long before you got back to a more regular diet?

How did you handle social activities that involve eating, like dinner invitations? When I go back to work in a few weeks, what do I bring for lunch?

How long before you felt well enough to leave the house or socialize? Because I'm really uncomfortable having anyone see me puffy, bruised, and drooling.

sirwired

Re: Surgery date set, a few general questions.

#2 Post by sirwired »

tee wrote:I have a date set for lower jaw advancement at the end of February. I've spent the past couple weeks highly anxious. Like, stressed to the point of not eating. I'm feeling a little better now. I'm sure that feeling will come and go because I don't know how you can elect to have a saw taken to your jaw with confidence. :shock:

Again, after leaving the surgeon's office, I feel like I didn't ask enough questions or the right ones. I'm sure these have been answered a million times around here, but maybe a few post-op people can offer their experience:

What sort of pain medication did they give you? Antibiotics? How are they administered? Pills? Because I was told I won't be able to take my itty bitty birth control pill?
You'll almost certainly be given opiate pain relievers (the "good stuff") of some sort. In the hospital they'll likely give it as an injection. For home, I specifically requested an Rx for a liquid. When you go to final pre-op, see if you can get the doctor to write your prescriptions then so you can get them filled BEFORE your operation, so your caregiver doesn't have to pray they can get back from the Pharmacy in time before you need your first pain pill. (Or, if the doctor made a mistake and wrote an Rx for something not available as a liquid, you can get that cleared up ahead of time.) Also needed: Liquid Advil, Liquid Sudafed. The Antibiotic was also a liquid. The OTC meds were all available in the "kids" section of the drugstore.

On the BC pill... hmm... I wouldn't depend on swallowing anything. Ask the pharmacist if you can crush it and stir it up in liquid to take. Yes or no, I'd suggest using a reliable backup method until you've been back to taking it normally for a week.
What was your oral hygiene routine like? How long before you can brush and floss properly?
Depends on "normal"... I'd say it was about a week before I could brush more or less normally. I had a wired-in splint, so no flossing on the upper until it came out. It'll probably be a little more than a week before you are flossing what you can, as you have to open your mouth quite a bit to floss.
I think they are only used on LeForts, but ask your surgeon. I think you should expect to be banded with heavy rubber bands instead.
How long were you on a liquid diet before you graduated to soft food? How long before you got back to a more regular diet?
I was on liquids only until I could get my mouth open enough for no-chew ("nothing stiffer than scrambled eggs".) Call it five days or so. But everybody is different.
How did you handle social activities that involve eating, like dinner invitations? When I go back to work in a few weeks, what do I bring for lunch?
You are going to have to bring your own food... and don't expect to feel like going anywhere for a couple weeks. When you go back to work (I was working again in two weeks), just bring whatever it is you are eating at home. I even had to travel once, and I just picked up a six-pack of Boost from the drugstore once I got there.
How long before you felt well enough to leave the house or socialize? Because I'm really uncomfortable having anyone see me puffy, bruised, and drooling.

I didn't really go anywhere for two weeks. By that point, most of the swelling should be gone, and you should have the "not drooling" thing down by that point.

sparkles

Re: Surgery date set, a few general questions.

#3 Post by sparkles »

Hello :)

Firstly, if your anxiety doesn't get any better, please consider going to see your doctor to see if there is anything they can give you to help. Also try relaxation, yoga or meditation.
It won't be as bad as you think it will be.
I was in an anxious state the week before my surgery to the point where I was having physical symptoms. Even 1 week post-op I could see that everything wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

To answer your questions:

I wasn't given any antibiotics. I have since read online somewhere about how giving antibiotics actually has a very minimal impact anyway. My surgeon told me that if I was going to get an infection, that that would happen in the first week.

I was given morphine during surgery and then for 24 hours post-surgery via a PCA pump. If I felt sore, I could press the button. They had to reduce my morphine because at one point I was only taking 10 breaths per minute.
After that I was given regular codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen. In the hospital, they were initially given to me in liquid form but by day 2 when I was discharged I was moved on to tablets. You likely will be able to take your birth control pill but probably at a different time than you normally would. I was given something to drink about 5 hours post-op.
Although the pain was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, I would say it was a week or so when I could stop taking the codeine and a good few weeks after that I stopped the ibuprofen and paracetamol. But I found that I needed pain meds for nerve pain rather than jaw pain.

This was something I was really pedantic about. I HATE not having good dental hygiene so I was determined to start brushing as soon as I could. I was given 2 bottles of corsodyl mouthwash and was told to use it at least twice a day. It helps with your wound healing too. I bought a small soft toothbrush and was cleaning my front teeth day 1 post-op. Then gradually I just brushed more teeth as the swelling subsided. Took a wee while to gain confidence to do the back teeth because I didn't want to look in my mouth at the wound sites too much (yuck!) and I didn't want to disturb stitches and whatnot. I'd say it took til about week 8 before I could get my mouth open properly enough to clean the inside surface of my lower front teeth properly.

I had BBSO with mandibular setback and didn't have a splint. I also wasn't wired shut. I don't know what the criteria is for getting a splint or not.

Ah food! I was on a no-chew diet for 6 weeks. In the first few days it was runny, smooth liquids on a teaspoon and then over time gradually progressed to thicker liquids on a tablespoon. By week 2 I had progressed to being able to eat things like mashed potato, minced fish, cheese sauce, sauce and rice. At 6 weeks post-op I was allowed to move to a soft-chew diet. So continued with mashed potato but could now have a baked potato with a topping, could manage sausages, fish (that wasn't flaked/minced), pasta, minced beef in gravy and bread (but no crusts).
I reached 12 weeks post-op 2 days ago and was given the all clear to resume a normal diet as long as I don't eat anything that could break my braces, no really chewy meat and no super crusty bread. I have today for the first time just tried eating some jelly babies (been fancying them for a few weeks now) and I can say it was HARD work eating one. I have also eaten oven chips which I suffered for afterwards but I can now eat toast for breakfast (the one food I missed during the jaw surgery diet). I've just done my weekly food shopping this morning and have went round the supermarket asking my husband 'do you think I could manage this?' LOL

I just didn't go out for coffee/lunch/dinner. I didn't want to go out for coffee and not be able to eat a cake with it. Then once I hit 6 weeks and could move to soft-chew, I met a friend for coffee. Before 6 weeks, my friend came to visit but understood that whilst i could give her anything she wanted to drink, I would not have biscuits in the house :D I went out for lunch with my daughter when I was about 9 weeks post-op and had a sandwich but couldn't eat the side salad, coleslaw or crisps that went with it, so it felt like a waste of money more than anything else. I went out for a meal for my wedding anniversary with my husband at around 8 weeks and went to an Italian, had sausages and pasta, managed the pasta but not the sausages. Cheesecake went down fine though :) I went out for a meal with my friend at 12 weeks post op and still had risotto but at least it had chicken and prawns in it. I did have quite a battle with my mother inlaw when it came to food, she kept trying to get me to eat food I just wasn't allowed. I had to say to her 'Look, I've got broken bones. If I had broken my leg, would you want me to walk on it? Would you want me to walk on the grass because it is softer than the cement pavement?' That stopped her trying to feed me biscuits and bread, no matter how much she thought they would just melt in my mouth!
In the first week post-op I was given a box of matchmaker chocolates (gave them to the kids, don't think I'd manage them even now) and a marshmallow sandwich (yes it's soft but it's still chewy).
I started a course when I was 5 weeks post-op and took soup in a flask, yoghurt, a jelly pot and plenty to drink with me.

Day 4 post-op I walked (very slowly) to the corner shop which is normally a 2 minute walk away from my house and got funny looks. Day 6 I was out for my first post-op checkup at the hospital and was absolutely knackered! Day 9 I ventured to the supermarket but was very conscious that I couldn't smile or talk very much. Day 14 the swelling and bruising had gone and I had my first visitor, only for 30 minutes before my jaw got too sore with talking. I would say by day 15 other people would not be able to tell any more. I went back to work after week 5 on reduced and altered hours. I would say it wasn't until about week 8 or 9 that I felt yeah I'm almost back to normal physically.

Hope all that helps :) You can read my blog here: http://faysbracesjourney.blogspot.co.uk/ I had my surgery on 5th September so start at September and work your way forward if it helps.