Tooth Ache After Double Jaw Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SFChristianGirl

Tooth Ache After Double Jaw Surgery

#1 Post by SFChristianGirl »

Hi.

I'm about 6 weeks post-op from double jaw surgery. They corrected an over bite and cross bite, for me.

The last couple of days I noticed a tooth ache.

I was wondering if this could be related to the jaw surgery or should I call me dentist to get it checked out?

Thanks.

JJ

Beebop

Re: Tooth Ache After Double Jaw Surgery

#2 Post by Beebop »

Hi JJ - Could be related cos I have the same on one of my upper back molars since surgery. I've gone back to using an electronic toothbrush now I'm not banded or splinted and the pain I get from one tooth is just like tooth ache. Not nice!

I also have some strange feeling in my lower front teeth like pains below the gum when I brush. I am assuming it's all related to the disruption of the surgery.

Hope you're recovering well, we must have had surgery at a similar time :)

bmueller

#3 Post by bmueller »

It is probably related to the surgery. Numbness and nerve regeneration can take many forms including pain. Some of my teeth still don't feel "normal" but kinda half numb. If you really want someone to look at it, contact your surgeon first. He probably has post-op x-rays which can ID any problems.

macve004

#4 Post by macve004 »

Hi Christiangirl,

I had surgery 4 weeks ago and just recently I began experiencing a "tooth-achey" feeling in my upper jaw. My surgeon said this feeling is due to the nerves coming back in the gums. I had him check the gums as well to make sure no decay or signs of gingivitis/periodontal disease. You should definitely check with a professional anyway, but I hope these words at least give you some notion of "maybe it's just normal."