How Long Off Work?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sparkles

How Long Off Work?

#1 Post by sparkles »

After 6 years, 1 month and 16 days in braces, I finally have a BSSO surgery date....5th September 2014.

The surgeon told me I have a 6 - 8 week recovery time ahead of me.

I'm wondering how long I'll need off work.

I know everyone is different in terms of their recovery and what job they do, but how long did you have off work?

Many thanks

AlexO890

Re: How Long Off Work?

#2 Post by AlexO890 »

SIX years? Oh my, you must be in pain. :(

Colbrit7

#3 Post by Colbrit7 »

Hi Sparkles, I had BSSO on the NHS on 2nd July and the hospital signed me off work for 2 weeks.

I had an overnight stay at the hospital and huge swelling which was the worse the first few days. I had a little bruising on my jawline and neck. I had a liquid diet for a week (make sure you get to see a dietitian whilst in the hospital, mine gave me special milkshakes in liquid and powder form) but am now on a fork mashable diet. It hurts when eating.

It will be non chew for at least 6-8 weeks. I get occasional jaw pain but it goes, and I still have lots of painkillers left from the hospital.

I have got sensation back to the jaw, though my chin and lower lip are still all numbed up and am banded up which the hospital othrodontist did. I haven't used elastic bands before and they are very strong so I find it hard to talk or open my mouth.

I will wait until next week and see my GP if I do not feel well enough to work, I still feel tired during the day.

[/url]

Fionisimma

#4 Post by Fionisimma »

Hi Sparkles... I'm scheduled for BSSO on September 3rd and have been told to expect at least a 6 to 8 week recovery period before going back to work due to the physically demanding nature of my job :shock:
Wishing you a successful surgery and s speedy recovery!

jaime

#5 Post by jaime »

I just had an appointment with my dental surgeon, and they recommend 2 weeks off. However, I will likely take 3-4 as I figure it can't hurt to take more.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

sirwired

#6 Post by sirwired »

With my LeFort I (which I'll admit is a much milder surgery) I was out for a solid two weeks from my work-from-home job. Frankly, I could have physically handled it after a week (albeit with some fatigue) but the monotonous no-chew diet was really stressful. You get really tired, really quickly, of Yet Another Meal of real food rendered into mush. (You can only consume so many calorific milkshakes, smoothies, and meal-replacement drinks.) My biggest advice is to NOT force yourself to eat anything you don't like; that was really depressing looking at containers of nigh-inedible food stacked up in the fridge. Throw it out if one of your experiments doesn't work out.

My go-to meal when I wanted something savory and high-calorie was canned corned beef, instant mashed potatoes, a generous portion of shredded cheese, topped with Sriracha sauce and ketchup. (It was nine weeks before I got my splint off... I went through a LOT of that hash...) Bad for my cholesterol and sodium levels, but good for the appetite.

lissybear22

#7 Post by lissybear22 »

I had a Lefort I and turbenectomy. I was out for 2 weeks, then went back halftime for the next week; did not return full time til 21 days post-op. It also depends on the type of job you have. I work with preschoolers, which can be very taxing... if your job does not involve a lot of physical activity, you may be cool to go back after a couple of weeks... but if you are very physically active, it may be useful to take a little extra time....

samoorelaw

#8 Post by samoorelaw »

I had a LeFort I and was out 3 weeks. However, I swelled more than the average patient who just gets a LeFort so this isn't a surprise.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

boodles8

#9 Post by boodles8 »

I was out for 4 weeks for BSSO, and I needed it all. My work is talk-intensive, but not physically demanding. I would have been ready by 3 or maybe even 2 weeks but suffered a lot with nausea and vomiting, so had trouble getting my strength back.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

oimysizex

#10 Post by oimysizex »

my surgeon said i would need 2/3 weeks off, some people get 4, personally I cannot afford that!!

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

KaylaChristine

#11 Post by KaylaChristine »

I've heard anywhere between 2-4 weeks is the expected time away from work. My surgeon said a couple weeks. Though I'd hate to miss more than a week of work. I'd use up all my time off!

Colbrit7

#12 Post by Colbrit7 »

In the end I had 4 weeks signed off work- 2 initially from the hospital after the surgery and 2 after I visited my GP.

[/url]

deathorglory

#13 Post by deathorglory »

I'm also worried about this...I'm only having my lower jaw pushed forward, but my job is 10 hours a day with a lot of people interaction and talking. A LOT of talking. I don't even know how i'm even going to eat, since it seems everyone says it takes FOREVER to eat anything even with a mirror...and I'm going to be in full view of people, having to pause and talk to people all the time. :( Worried...

sparkles

#14 Post by sparkles »

Thank you so much :) for all your really helpful replies.
I told work that my surgery is due on 5th September and I anticipate that I'll be back to work on 6th October. That will give me 4 weeks to recover and even if it's not all needed, I'd rather give myself extra time than not enough because I know I'll try and push myself back to work before I'm ready which isn't good.
I should get statutory sick pay so should be ok financially.

Beebop

#15 Post by Beebop »

Hi Sparkles, I'm 4.5 weeks post op, had double jaw surgery plus a genioplasty. I feel normal now and could go back (just) after 4 weeks, although I'm taking 6. I've not been wired shut which I believe makes a huge difference. If you are wired if not think you'd be ready after 4 weeks. BSSO is plates and not wires, so should be good providing all goes well. Good luck!