FOR A BOTTOM JAW SURGERY..do i need braces?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

josephsantana

FOR A BOTTOM JAW SURGERY..do i need braces?

#1 Post by josephsantana »

thats my concern ...do i need braces in order to have a bottom jaw surgery?

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#2 Post by nahky »

Well it depends on the condition your teeth are in now. Having the braces would move your teeth to the most optimum position before the surgery, so that both the top jaw and bottom jaw correllate with each other well, for a good proper bite.

You will need to continue wearing the braces after the surgery, so having the braces on your bottom jaw will only help you get a perfect bite once your surgery is done

im no doctor, but i think this is how it goes when someone needs jaw surgery
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

yes.

You need braces to align the teeth within each respective jaw in a very certain way. Then they do the surgery to align the jaws to each other and then they 'fine tune' with the braces.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Braceface16

#4 Post by Braceface16 »

[quote="nahky"]Well it depends on the condition your teeth are in now. Having the braces would move your teeth to the most optimum position before the surgery, so that both the top jaw and bottom jaw correllate with each other well, for a good proper bite.

You will need to continue wearing the braces after the surgery, so having the braces on your bottom jaw will only help you get a perfect bite once your surgery is done

im no doctor, but i think this is how it goes when someone needs jaw surgery[/quote]

Yeah i agree with him because my mom had jaw surgery in 1996 ( a long time ago) and she wore braces for about 2 years and then had the TMJ surgery (upper and lower jaw) and than had her mouth wired togher (top teeth to botton teeth) and the wires were connected though the braces wires and then about 5 months later the braces were removed. SO yes i am thinking that you need braces before surgery.
~~**CaRoLiNe~~**

cro850

#5 Post by cro850 »

I would agree that braces are necessary, but it depends on each individual case. I have to have both upper and lower jaw surgery, and braces are needed for the reasons others have mentioned -- to align teeth for their position post-surgery and to facilitate banding the upper and lower jaws after surgery. My oral surgeon told me that they don't wire mouths shut in all cases anymore, and that I would probably be rubber-banded instead, which is good.