UK blog

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tom44

UK blog

#1 Post by Tom44 »

Hi all,

I've just started the process of getting my underbite fixed, had braces on for a short while now and eventualy will be having double jaw surgery to move both jaws. See my undates here:

http://fixingmyunderbite.blogspot.co.uk/

Tingrinteacher

Re: UK blog

#2 Post by Tingrinteacher »

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the world of braces and jaw surgery. My face and case is very similar to to yours (except I've got freckles and lipstick!)

After around 6 months, the ligature changes don't hurt much, as there is less movement to your teeth. It's more 'uncomfortable' than anything else. After about 12 months, when your underbite is more pronounced (my bottom teeth are currently 1.2cm in front of my top ones at present) eating becomes a complete fanny on.

Where are you based in the UK? Are you NHS too?
Gem xx

Tom44

#3 Post by Tom44 »

Hi Gem,

I'm based in the North West at the moment, whereabouts are you? Yes I am also being treated by the NHS, although there was a long wait beofre having my braces on. I've been a bit of a lurker on these boards and other forums for a while which definitely helped getting my head around what is involved in correcting a misaligned bite!

I just noticed your username btw - i'm a secondary school teacher funnily enough. I'm around plenty of young people with braces and i'm now i'm one of them :)

Tom44

#4 Post by Tom44 »

Ignore my previous question, I see from your profile where you're from. I've just read in your previous post that your surgery is very close, you must be very excited. I see that you've not had to wear your braces for a massively long time; I hope i'll be the same!

Tingrinteacher

#5 Post by Tingrinteacher »

Having my surgery in Devon, moved down 7 years ago. The lure of cream tea and old people was just too much. Originally from the North East... Miss the north and 'civilisation' in general.

Aye, 2 weeks until surgery. Braces have been on 15 months and I know its a cliche but it's flown by! It's been hard going at points and it's now at the point where I'm ready for the surgery and just want it over and done with.

It's great teaching secondary with braces, the kids give you a new found respect. Kids offer you wax if they can see your teeth hurt..! I'm sure I've accidentally spat on a fair few and they don't bat an eyelid... Oh, and they no longer dare take an entire day of school for a Lig change.

Anything you are worried about?

oimysizex

#6 Post by oimysizex »

Hello tom! I'm also from northwest! My surgery is not too far off. I'll be watching your blog :)

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!