Oral Surgeon in Melbourne Australia

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Purkulator

Oral Surgeon in Melbourne Australia

#1 Post by Purkulator »

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone here is from Melbourne Australia who has had jaw surgery?
Who was your surgeon and what made you choose them e.g. Recommendation from friend, dentist said he was the best in the field, orthodontist only worked with them, research online etc
Did you get any numbness and were you happy with the aesthetic result?

Any comments would greatly help those considering surgery in the future

Leebie3

Re: Oral Surgeon in Melbourne Australia

#2 Post by Leebie3 »

Hi Purkulator (love the name btw!)

I can't help 'coz I'm in Cairns sorry.. are you getting yours done on the public system??

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

Purkulator

#3 Post by Purkulator »

That's an option for me but I'm not sure if I should choose a private surgeon...The ones I heard about a lot are:

Andrew Heggie: An academic, has a passion for children and treating cleft palate, head of the RCH OMS department
Andrew Bridgeman: Heard he is very knowledgeable and highly regarded, he is a younger but not unexperienced
Alf Nastri: Head of the OMS departent in the RMH also hold positions in the OMS training board
Jocelyn Shand: Vice president of the OMS training board
David Wiesenfeld: Very experienced and definitely one of the most experienced in the field

Usually the private surgeons also work in the public system too but they supervise the trainees who do part or most of the procedure I think. I have heard good things about the public system but I am still not sure which way to go.

Pavlidja

#4 Post by Pavlidja »

Hey Purkulator,

About 2 weeks ago Dr Andrew Bridgeman did my SARPE/SAME surgery as well as removing all 4 wisdoms and I will use him again to also complete my lower jaw surgery when the time comes.

From what I hear he has a great reputation for the work he does. Staff in the hospital would compliment him when they read who was doing the work.

He worked on my sister for her lower jaw expansion and she was very happy & had no complications/minor discomfort and minimal swelling. She did have slight numbness on one side of her lower lip for a few months after but she says this is improving.

My personal experience was that he was very detailed in his explanation of what he would do and how he would complete the work on the day. He is very upfront and reassuring and went out of his way to follow up with me post surgery. My Ortho recommended him for me. I was numb for only two days on the left side of my face near my nose and lip and had minimal swelling compared to some of the pics of people I saw who had the same procedure.

Take the time to have a consultation with the surgeons if you can to suss them out.
Also as far as I know Andrew Bridgeman usually works through private only.

TFL

#5 Post by TFL »

[quote="Purkulator"]
David Wiesenfeld: Very experienced and definitely one of the most experienced in the field
.[/quote]
I know of someone whose jaw surgery was completely screwed up by him....

I have heard Andrew Heggie and Jocelyn Shand are the best, don't know how true this is...

SingleJawMelb

#6 Post by SingleJawMelb »

I had my surgery done with Alf Nastri. My two orthos (I changed during treatment) work with him, and I'm naive and didn't think to shop around or anything.

My experience: had a referral months after my first appointment with ortho (and you know how long they take). Saw him for literally two minutes) he said "you will prob need both, I'll know closer to the time. Paid my consult fees, paperwork, didn't see him for 16 months.

Approntment to book surgery: told me I would only need one jaw doing. Again I saw him for two minutes, he said I just needed one. I'm sure they look at X-rays and stuff... Or maybe they don't. I had one or two questions and he answered them fine.

Appointment before surgery: I had a little bit more time cause he was taking the moulds and he likes to talk (about surgery). Pre surgery consults were fine. He will answer your questions.

Surgery: I cried like a baby on the operating table. I had an afternoon intake and didn't wake up in time for breakfast. So hungry.

Woke up, all good. He took the wisdom teeth out (said he wasn't sure if they would be taken out until he operated) and said he would refund money if he didn't take them out.

I stayed in hospital for two nights and would have liked to stay in an extra night. No pain or discomfort but I was starving so hot extra food - the meat sauce you can find in Coles fridge.

Recovery - nurses and staff said I had minimal swelling (starts on day three anyway). By 10 days I had a little bit of yellow bruising and swelling was minimal. Chin was a little numb. No pain after surgery (due to drugs they give you) but also didn't need pain relief.

I had broken my elastics by day three cause I was opening my mouth wide for food (supposed to be a good sign). My check up appointment was with another surgeon cause Alf was away. I was given just two elastics to wear.

Post op appointment with ortho 10 days later, he wasn't happy with my bite so he put on 6 elastics. I had the most pain during that period - it was 8/10 (I would only save 9 or 10/10 survey for giving birth). Went to doctor for pain relief and she gave me the anti inflammatories. Codine doesn't work for me anymore (I think).

Saw Alf three weeks post surgery. Apparently my level of swelling/bruising and numbness isn't common. The surgery was honestly a breeze for me. No issues. I have a little bit of numbness (only noticeable when I touch my chin) is improving by the day. I'm nearly four weeks post surgery and chewed soft foods a brunch today (weirdest sensation ever, will go back to swallowing it whole).

So would I recommend Alf - yes he has the sort of personality I like, very likeable guy, confident and I had a great surgery. I'm sure my post op healing isn't due to his wonderful hands, it's just my body and how it reacted (he said similar).

So yes I would recommend Alf, he's efficient and doesn't waste my time. If you need questions answered he will answer them, but really your ortho is recommending you the surgeon cause they work together. Your ortho and surgeon are health care professionals who have numerous degrees, plenty of patients before you, know lots more than you do, generally your opinion on the choice of surgeon isn't necessary. Ortho yes cause your head is going to be next to his crotch for the next two years, surgeon no.

lundberg

#7 Post by lundberg »

Hello guys,

I will be having double jaw surgery + genioplasty in Australia in the next couple of months. I read multiple cases of inexperienced surgeons in Sydney/Melbourne that made terrible mistakes with their patients and I have no idea which surgeon to choose. Can you guys confirm your experience with any of the mentioned surgeons?

Is it better to do the surgery in Sydney than in Melbourne? and if so can you guys provide any recommendations for surgeons in Sydney?

Thanks in advance!

Mandywill70

#8 Post by Mandywill70 »

"I will be having double jaw surgery + genioplasty in Australia in the next couple of months. I read multiple cases of inexperienced surgeons in Sydney/Melbourne that made terrible mistakes with their patients and I have no idea which surgeon to choose. Can you guys confirm your experience with any of the mentioned surgeons?"

I am really curious about this...Could you could clarify more about about the terrible mistakes specific to Sydney and Melbourne...where have you heard about these cases? It's just that I have the impression they are all pretty experienced here? Just gleaning what I have read on this board and just what I perceive as a level of competence of surgeons in Australia?

I have already had an appointment with Jocelyn Shand so I feel even more confident now about choosing her as my surgeon after reading that she is considered one of the best. I definitely had a great first impression of her. Professional, friendly, confident and frank.

Mandywill70

#9 Post by Mandywill70 »

Sorry for the typos...i can't see a flipping edit button anywhere here?? Looked up FAQ and apparently there is one? I know it's off topic but if anyone can help by pointing it out I'd really appreciate it! It's actually really frustrated me!! :crazy:

lundberg

#10 Post by lundberg »

Mandywill70 wrote:"I will be having double jaw surgery + genioplasty in Australia in the next couple of months. I read multiple cases of inexperienced surgeons in Sydney/Melbourne that made terrible mistakes with their patients and I have no idea which surgeon to choose. Can you guys confirm your experience with any of the mentioned surgeons?"

I am really curious about this...Could you could clarify more about about the terrible mistakes specific to Sydney and Melbourne...where have you heard about these cases? It's just that I have the impression they are all pretty experienced here? Just gleaning what I have read on this board and just what I perceive as a level of competence of surgeons in Australia?

I have already had an appointment with Jocelyn Shand so I feel even more confident now about choosing her as my surgeon after reading that she is considered one of the best. I definitely had a great first impression of her. Professional, friendly, confident and frank.
The cases I mentioned are ones I found online of people who done the surgery here in Sydney/Melbourne. Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't any good surgeons, it just means finding an experienced one can be difficult.

What kind of surgery are you having? Do you know if the surgeon you mentioned have a lot of experience with these kind of surgeries?