Sorry, Should have said February 2014 surgery buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

samoorelaw

Re: Sorry, Should have said February 2014 surgery buddies

#151 Post by samoorelaw »

EWUgal15 wrote:
samoorelaw wrote:Bumping in case any of my surgery buddies are still around?
Wow! You're over a year and a half post op!
I've been trying to catch up on the thread and it sounds like you had a helluva time during recovery. How have things been since your braces came off and...just everything? I remember reading that you regretted having all this done while you were in recovery...and I'm sure that has changed since then right?
Howdy,

Yes, time sure flies. I don't regret the surgery but I'm still disappointed with my results: my back teeth on both sides don't touch and I'm concerned that I'm putting undue stress on my 8 crowns in the front because of this. My orthodontist basically said he can't do anything more for my bite and the next step is to see if I need to get crowns on my remaining top 6 teeth to get them to connect with my bottom teeth. Don't know if I want to destroy 6 perfectly healthy teeth to achieve the perfect bite. So that's the skinny with me, thanks for asking. Hope you're well (did you have the surgery?).
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

snapdresser

#152 Post by snapdresser »

Hey sammoorelaw,

A bunch of crowns so your bite meets?! Have you considered getting a revision instead? I bet your surgeon would give you a good rate since it's to fix their work. But then you're looking at recovery again, etc. Maybe they could get away with only doing 1 jaw tho :? And I'm not sure whether or not you'd want to go to the same surgeon.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

EWUgal15

#153 Post by EWUgal15 »

samoorelaw wrote:
Howdy,

Yes, time sure flies. I don't regret the surgery but I'm still disappointed with my results: my back teeth on both sides don't touch and I'm concerned that I'm putting undue stress on my 8 crowns in the front because of this. My orthodontist basically said he can't do anything more for my bite and the next step is to see if I need to get crowns on my remaining top 6 teeth to get them to connect with my bottom teeth. Don't know if I want to destroy 6 perfectly healthy teeth to achieve the perfect bite. So that's the skinny with me, thanks for asking. Hope you're well (did you have the surgery?).
I'm scheduled for BSSO in November. I'm in the process of getting everything squared away for my medical leave from work and getting ready to make some purchases for recovery time. I've been reading a lot lately and while I've seen lots of success cases, I think this is the 3rd or 4th I've read that hasn't been great or requires revision. I'm sorry to ear that things still aren't perfect. It seems strange that the orthodontist would recommend crowns on the 6 teeth that don't need any repair to them other than making your bite meet. I think snap is right, you might want to consult about a revision...or at least get a few more opinions from different orthodontists/surgeons/dentists.

samoorelaw

#154 Post by samoorelaw »

I seriously doubt this is a surgical relapse to warrant surgery. I don't think you can operate on the jaw to lower it down so it touches the bottom teeth, or to raise the lower teeth to meet the upper teeth. The surgery fixes the skeletal problem but the orthodontist is supposed to fix the bite.

I saw another ortho for a second opinion months ago and he acted like the braces may not work again since I relapsed so soon after the braces came off (within 3 weeks of the braces being removed, the posterior open bite came back, and it happened again after I had the partial back braces and elastics removed again ). I think my upper teeth are worn down so much from my bad bite pre-surgery that they need to be built up.

It would cost me a minimum of $9,000 to get 6 more crowns and I'm not sure it's worth it. Maybe I'm not meant to have a good bite.

samoorelaw

#155 Post by samoorelaw »

I'm going to get braces installed again tomorrow: ortho thinks the bite can be fixed without the crowns and didn't seem too thrilled with the crown idea. This is my last chance to see if this can be fixed. I've been reading a lot about positioners helping to retain bites so I'm going to insist on one at braces re-removal. Here we go again...

SoCalUniveristyLed

#156 Post by SoCalUniveristyLed »

Hi,

Checking in here. Sorry to hear about your relapse, and sending good thoughts that the braces work. How long will you have them?

I need up having a revision genio one year post op, and removed a screw that started to make its way through the bone. Still have numbness from that surgery almost one year post op.

I have ever so slight relapse one one side that my Ortho is keeping his eyes on. They said its been closing up, even though at a snail's pace, but still there. I see him again in a couple weeks.

Hope everyone else is doing ok!

samoorelaw

#157 Post by samoorelaw »

SoCalUniveristyLed wrote:Hi,

Checking in here. Sorry to hear about your relapse, and sending good thoughts that the braces work. How long will you have them?

I need up having a revision genio one year post op, and removed a screw that started to make its way through the bone. Still have numbness from that surgery almost one year post op.

I have ever so slight relapse one one side that my Ortho is keeping his eyes on. They said its been closing up, even though at a snail's pace, but still there. I see him again in a couple weeks.

Hope everyone else is doing ok!
Hello,

Sorry to hear you had a relapse, too. I don't know how long I will be in braces but I think at least another 6-9 months (it's been almost 3 months now). My molars are now touching on the left side after 4 weeks back in elastics but the right side is being stubborn (that's the side I relapsed the most) but the molars are almost touching. I just fear that it will not work this time; my teeth just might be too worn down to properly touch after the elastics and braces are removed. If it doesn't work, I quit! I have read good things about a positioner helping retain an open bite so I am going to insist on getting one even though my ortho has mixed feelings about positioners.

Might I say I just can't believe my surgery was 2 years ago yesterday...unbelievable.