numbness risk with wisdom teeth extraction

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

giantfigure

numbness risk with wisdom teeth extraction

#1 Post by giantfigure »

I just came back from my consultation with oral surgeon. I am getting my two wisdom teeth located on the right side, extracted on June 24th. Reason for extraction: lower teeth is impacted.

My concern is not pain or dry socket. But surgeon mentioned there is a rare risk of getting permanent numbness in my lips or tongue or teeth. It is scaring the hell out of me! I am very much concerned about losing sensitivity in any part of my mouth!

anyone has further details on How risky it is? are there any precautions after treatments which can prevent the numbness in case if it starts to happen? please let me know your suggestions.

Thank you!
giant

Neva

#2 Post by Neva »

It's seemed to me to be the sort of thing they warn people about every time, but the risk isn't really that big. Almost everybody I know has had their wisdom teeth out. Many of us had them fully impacted and had to do the general anesthesia and often dry sockets and lots of pain meds. None of us, as far as I know, has the slightest problem with numbness after the fact. But they don't want to get sued.

It freaked me out, too, but in the end I just had lots of hurting for about a month, and now I don't miss them in the slighest. :)

#3 Post by Guest »

Well... I need to make this short, but I had nerve damage when my wisdoms were taken out... I couldn't feel 1/2 my tongue for about 3 or 4 months and then the slightest amount of feeling came back... about enough to let me know if I'm biting it (which I couldn't tell before and I was very frustrated by). Now, it's about a year later and it's still mostly numb, that left side. I hated the idea of having a numb tongue for life (which may not be the case, nerve damage repairs itself sometimes, just very slowly) but over time I've become fine with it. It's not like I can't taste my food or anything... that's right half just does all the typical tongue duties. And hey, sometimes I use that side for when I accidentally put something in my mouth that is way too hot but I can't spit it out in front of everyone... So there are some benefits too. I don't include my story to scare you, and that's why I haven't responded earlier, but after the last response, I don't want you to think it's practically 0% that it happens to.

I've gotta go
-FiMo

giantfigure

#4 Post by giantfigure »

I truly sympathize with you, Fimo. I also read on web that repair of nerves is a very critical thing if it is damaged. Sometimes it takes months or years to repair. I wish in your case it is sooner than later.

i have to keep my fingers crossed and wish that surgery goes fine for me. :?

giantfigure

#5 Post by giantfigure »

hey guys...Thank you so much for the courage you people provided me! :) i had my two wisdom teeth on the right side extracted, on today mornng 10am. Doctor gave me genereal anasthesia. I did not feel anything on how extraction happened. I am amazed! it is not as painful afterwhile as i expected.

I bought the prescriptions. had first dose in the afternoon, and just woke up. Things going fine. not much of pain till now. there is some numbness on the cheek but if i bite it hard with fingers (of course while taking care for the teeth socket!), i feel very little pain. I guess it means nerve is ok and repairing itself.

i read through web and the instructions given by Dr., taking precautions like only drinks for today.

"ONE THING" I wanted to ask you guys...what precautions did you take to avoid dry socket? not rinsing mouth rigorously...and? I want to make sure I do not make silly mistakes to develop it!!! :(

I just wish to be fine in 2-3 days and resume my chicken sandwitch. :)

swan

#6 Post by swan »

Just whatever instructions the oral surgeon gave me:
Meds for pain and swelling; antibiotic (I'll probably question that if I ever have an extraction again); rinsing with antibacterial; no sucking on straws; when rinsing, no swishing at all, I just put the head from side to side and then let the water drool out.

My first meal after extaction was a yummy smoothie (with a spoon instead of a straw, of course). The assistant suggested it, because it's cold and so also helps with the initial swelling. After that I didn't have much swelling at all.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

giantfigure

#7 Post by giantfigure »

helpful advices! I am also being careful in what I am eating and rinsing. no question of smoking for 1-2 weeks!

Even though I did not have any pain or swelling until now, I do not want to take any risks. On internet at some places, it sad problems could occur after 2-3 days! I plan to stick with soft food for at least 4-5 days so that the bones are little more developed at the site of wisdom teeth extraction.

Good thing is I had extraction only on right side. So I can cautiously eat and drink from the left side with no problems.

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

FiMo719 wrote: I couldn't feel 1/2 my tongue for about 3 or 4 months

-FiMo
I had numbness on my lower right chin and bottom lip for 3-4 months. The feeling came back gradually.

Take your B vitamins for nerve health.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007