Orthognathic surgery double jaw costs

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kieranmullen

Orthognathic surgery double jaw costs

#1 Post by kieranmullen »

Live in Portland OR.. Looking for out of state or out of country alternatives. Was quoted $16,860 (not covered by insurance) by the Hospital University which we work for. However they do perform sex change operations under insurance... Anywho... any good way to compare costs for Canada etc?

JonMan

Re: Orthognathic surgery double jaw costs

#2 Post by JonMan »

That seams low. My upper and lower was about $60,000 after everything. I paid about $4500 out of pocket and insurance picked up the rest. I have blue cross / blue shield.

kpw818

#3 Post by kpw818 »

I was quoted 15,000 for upper and lower and told that insurance wouldn't pay (I have BCBS). It seems that is crap, because many users on here have said that BCBS did cover their surgery. I'm either not as medically necessary as all my dentists and orthos have told me over the year, or the surgeon just doesn't want to mess with it.

boodles8

#4 Post by boodles8 »

I also had insurance woes... started the process with BCBS who would have covered it, switched to United who said they wouldn't. I looked into overseas options myself. I found a place in Costa Rica who can do it (there are one or two others on there who have gone through them), and they charge about $15000--not much better than what you're looking at now, except if I recall correctly, that number includes hospitalization etc. I can't remmber the name of the place or the doctor, but just Google medical tourism and orthognathic surgery and it should come up.

One thing more if you feel like risking it. I was planning on being self-pay, and I had the surgery with no thought of insurance help due to the denial earlier. What do you know but they insurance paid every last cent even though they had sent me a denial letter! I'm not even gonna ask...
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

prairiehouse

#5 Post by prairiehouse »

I'm from Ontario (Canada, not California) and was quoted a little over 2k for only the lower jaw. I'm not sure what the upper jaw would be. Hospital costs are covered (OHIP).

bmueller

#6 Post by bmueller »

My surgery in Viriginia cost (not including insurance discounts or my actual payment)
$20k hospital costs
$10k upper and lower jaw surgery

Noella

#7 Post by Noella »

My surgery in Washington state-
Lower jaw and genioplasty cost 10,000 ish
Lower and upper jaw would of cost me 16,000 ish

my insurance didn't cover anything.
That's very common so my surgeon has a program set up with the university of Washington medical hospital that if we pay cash/check/debit/credit before the surgery he cuts the costs majorly. If I had gone through insurance the whole procedure can cost anywhere from 60,000 and up. This surgeon I went through is very well know and teaches the surgery at UW. He's not doing it for profit at this point he's older, he's actually doing it because he cares for his patients. The staff has been amazing. My surgery wasn't a teaching surgery either he just has interns that follow him around at his office. But he doesn't let them do a thing.

Krenee2690

#8 Post by Krenee2690 »

Prairiehouse what is the name of your surgeon if you don't mind my asking.

TatyanaZ

#9 Post by TatyanaZ »

I am getting both jaws done in Moscow by Alexander Antipov, he has a primary practice in Northern CA and a practice in Moscow. LOVE his work and Moscow is cheaper. Both Jaws and facility fees are little under 20K.

SingleJawMelb

#10 Post by SingleJawMelb »

$17K AUD

FoxInTheForest

#11 Post by FoxInTheForest »

I'm from Newfoundland, Canada and I only have to pay 500$ for the surgery + the cost of braces (between 3-6k) for my double jaw surgery. The provincial government covers basically all surgical fees here luckily.