Length of numbness and how did it end?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bomb

Length of numbness and how did it end?

#1 Post by Bomb »

I am at weeks 8 Post Op. Still have complete numbness on left side of lower lip and chin. Right side is nearly back to normal. Can't remember how theright side with the initial numbnnes returned as it did so in the early stages. How long for total numbenss to go away and does it go away gradual or one day you wake up and it's gone? The right side was more like one day I woke and gone. But he left side is no progress at all!!!! What have others experienced?

ramirezmu8

Re: Length of numbness and how did it end?

#2 Post by ramirezmu8 »

At 13 months post up I still had numbness in my lower lip and chin. I just got the surgery redone this past wednesdays, hopefully I regain for sensation this time around

CaliforniaKid

#3 Post by CaliforniaKid »

still number in my lower lip and chin after 8 weeks, totally normal.

Bomb

#4 Post by Bomb »

Hi remirez,

why a second surgery? and 13 months seems liek a very long time for numbness from what ihave learned. Are you concerned it could be permanent?

ramirezmu8

#5 Post by ramirezmu8 »

Bomb wrote:Hi remirez,

why a second surgery? and 13 months seems liek a very long time for numbness from what ihave learned. Are you concerned it could be permanent?
i had surgery to correct an underbite but my ortho concluded that i did not achieve an adequate setback of my lower jaw. also, my upperjaw was to narrow so they expanded it but over time it went back to its original position. im hoping this time around everything was fixed

not really concerned about permanent numbness.. its not too big of a deal

Bloomingcactus657

#6 Post by Bloomingcactus657 »

I am 7 weeks post op and my gums are still numb, nothing else is though.
When I got feeling back in the roof of my mouth (at abt 3 weeks) it just kinda happened overnight.
My surgeon says it can take 18 weeks :/

Bomb

#7 Post by Bomb »

Blooming...

Did you have lower jaw, upper jaw or both? Did you ever have numbness in your lower lip and chin? Wow - good for you!

Bomb

#8 Post by Bomb »

Blooming - how old are you? I am over 50 and heard age is a big factor in time and ability for nerve to recover.

projo198

#9 Post by projo198 »

Completely normal. I am YEARS post-op and still don't have it all back yet!

yeahyeahyeah

#10 Post by yeahyeahyeah »

Bomb wrote:I am at weeks 8 Post Op. Still have complete numbness on left side of lower lip and chin. Right side is nearly back to normal. Can't remember how theright side with the initial numbnnes returned as it did so in the early stages. How long for total numbenss to go away and does it go away gradual or one day you wake up and it's gone? The right side was more like one day I woke and gone. But he left side is no progress at all!!!! What have others experienced?
after 2 weeks - 80% of the numbness went. Chin is still numb.

yeahyeahyeah

#11 Post by yeahyeahyeah »

ramirezmu8 wrote:At 13 months post up I still had numbness in my lower lip and chin. I just got the surgery redone this past wednesdays, hopefully I regain for sensation this time around
This doesn't seem normal.

You might have permanent nerve damage. I would get it checked out.

Indigo

#12 Post by Indigo »

I have a small amount of numbness, just around my upper lips. I'm gaining feeling in my face quickly. I'm wired completely shut. I chose this option to lower the risk of permanent nerve damage. I was told the chance of permanent nerve damage is higher with older patients. I'm 37.