My skull is in for a LOT of work this year...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sirwired

My skull is in for a LOT of work this year...

#1 Post by sirwired »

To save you the time of looking through my old posts, I've been working for about three years now to get my bite corrected in order to arrest my gum recession. I was braced around x-mas, and given a time of 18-24 mos. before a LeFort I and BSSO/genio.

After further consultations with the OMFS dept. at UNC-CH, the plan right now is for just a LeFort I. While I have significant lower asymmetry due to ramal hypoplasia, the surgeon felt that since the lower-jaw asymmetry aesthetics didn't bother me in the least, that it was best to correct the issues using only the LeFort, given the nerve risks associated with the BSSO and genio that would be required to correct the asymmetry on the lower.

My ortho wasn't too thrilled with the plan to begin with, but after talking with the surgeon, he's on board. (I think my ortho is "programmed" to go for a perfectly aesthetic result, and I truly don't care; I was fine with my aesthetics BEFORE even getting braces.)

On a positive note, my ortho says my treatment is steamrolling along, and he thinks he'll be able to release me to the surgeon in 6-8 mos.

On a negative note, my skull is in for a LOT of punishment in the next year. I was at an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat Doc) yesterday for what I thought was a chronically swollen lymph node just under my ear. It turns out that the most likely dx is a benign tumor of the Parotid gland. (This is a large salivary gland just below the ear.) The official stats say there is a 20% chance it is malignant. However I'm relatively young, so this is probably a bit less than 20% likely.

I have a CAT scan next week, and a follow-up with the ENT the following week, probably with a biopsy. The only treatment is surgery. (If not treated, the tumor WILL grow larger over time, and may turn malignant.) If you thought a BSSO or Genio risked nerve damage... the nerve that "runs" the entire side of the face runs right through the Parotid gland; permanent facial paralysis is not an unheard-of side effect. (Luckily, the risk during the first surgery is rather small. If I relapse, the odds get MUCH worse.) Everything from my chin to eyebrows could be affected.

I may also be up for "roto-rooter" surgery to straighten out a deviated septum and overgrown turbinates. But frankly, compared to the Parotidectomy and LeFort I, it'll be about as traumatic as getting my teeth cleaned.