numbness that is strange post-op

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

helpingsmile

numbness that is strange post-op

#1 Post by helpingsmile »

Hi,
I just had upper and lower jaw surgery with a genioplast 7 days ago.

I have a bunch of tingling in my jaw, around my nose, and lower jaw/lip, which is fine. But my left eye is burning, and I feel the sensation of tears running down the left side of my face. However, I am not crying. I can't figure out if this is another form of sensation coming back or if this is something to be worried about. I saw my doctor today, and I told him. He said that he had never heard that before, but it sounded strange. Showed no concern... Anyone have any insights? Similar things happen?

Thanks!

keeponsmiling

Re: numbness that is strange post-op

#2 Post by keeponsmiling »

I doubt it's anything sinister. I too had double jaw surgery and genio, five months ago, and my face still doesn't feel completely normal, so you really are in very early days still. I didn't get any numbness or tingling round my eyes, but when I eat something cold I feel like it's trickling down from the corners of my mouth down the sides of my chin! I keep dabbing at my chin with a napkin only to find there's nothing there - very weird. It is very gradually going but it does take ages to feel anything near 'normal'. Don't get me wrong, you can expect to feel almost normal in a couple of weeks, but getting there 100% takes much longer. Just concentrate on getting as much nutrition and rest as you can.

CaliforniaKid

#3 Post by CaliforniaKid »

Did you have anything done to your cheeks or nose? I had serious swelling above my nose from the pressure of the chemicals my surgeons used to augment my cheeks which ended up wedging into my eye. It wasn't a big deal it didn't hurt that much.

keeponsmiling

#4 Post by keeponsmiling »

I just remembered - it wasn't exactly a burning sensation, but both my eyes felt hot and were stinging for about a week after surgery, almost as if I'd gotten shampoo or something in them. Never found out what caused it but it didn't last for long.

helpingsmile

#5 Post by helpingsmile »

Thanks for the replies. My eyes definitely were stinging and burning for a few days too. Luckily the tearing sensation went away after 2 days. Now, I have learned the joy of teaching your jaw to reopen, but it was nice to be reminded to be patient. Sometimes I feel like recovery is sooo slow and in other cases I can't believe how much as changed in 3 weeks!