Debraced!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LAJaw

Debraced!!

#1 Post by LAJaw »

It's been a while since I've last posted here, but my ortho journey has finally come to an end. I was debraced this week, 15 months after my surgery, and about 27 months since the braces first went on.

I had an asymmetric underbite that was corrected with double jaw surgery, BSSO + three piece Lefort I. I feel super lucky - I have full feeling in my chin and lower jaw. I am still numb in the gums over my front teeth and forward part of my pallette (forward portion of the 3-piece segment) - at this point I'm pretty sure it'll be permanently numb but I'm ok with it.

Even though it's been more than a year I'm still not fully used to my new face. Sometimes I get a little picky - my midline feels like it's slightly off from the centerline of my face, and one of my second molars isn't perfectly in line with the rest of my arch. But overall I am thrilled with the results and outcome. My only regret is I wish I would've gotten off my butt and started this whole thing years sooner.

This forum and related blogs were a godsend to me when I was lurking/researching and when I was actually going through treatment and recovering from surgery.

Now I just have to remember to wear my retainer (forever) and get my teeth whitened :) Good luck to everyone going through it - it's totally worth it!
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

boatsink

Re: Debraced!!

#2 Post by boatsink »

That's GREAT news!!! Congrats on getting debraced!!!!

Jan2012

Re: Debraced!!

#3 Post by Jan2012 »

Hi LAJaw,

Congratulations on reaching the end of your jaw correction journey!

Thank you for your insightful blog. I in particular have been impressed with the precision in the way that you have taken the before and after photos!!! It makes it so much easier for comparison. May I ask how you accomplish this?

Jan2012