NY surgeons/orthos? Ways to finance surgery as a student?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tdawg7669

NY surgeons/orthos? Ways to finance surgery as a student?

#1 Post by tdawg7669 »

I have finally decided to pursue surgery after some soul searching. I plan to go for consults starting in the fall when I start law school. Im not sure if I would still be covered under my dad's policy as I would be 23. As I have a full ride scholarship to school I wouldnt really mind taking a loan out if it was necessary. I am wondering if one would even be available to me. I have good credit but first year law students(at ABA accredited schools) arent allowed to work. I really want to get this done before school ends because taking the necessary time off as a lawyer(if I am even able to land a gig) in this market is probably a good way to lose your job.

Also does anybody know of Gunson/Arnett level surgeons/orthos(or the next best thing) in the NY area(preferably accessible by public transportation)?

CaliforniaKid

Re: NY surgeons/orthos? Ways to finance surgery as a student

#2 Post by CaliforniaKid »

know nothing about NY, but it is highly unlikely you'll be able to swing a medical loan without a co-signer. "good" credit at 23 isn't that impressive.

first off, you'll probably need braces prior to surgery. im sure you aware of that. i think children are covered under their parent's insurance until 25, and some insurance covers braces, or part of the cost. i'd definitely pursue that first, and get your braces on before you hit 25.

tdawg7669

#4 Post by tdawg7669 »

1)I just had braces taken off, my teeth are straight and I am pretty sure my orthondontist didnt compensate. Id imagine I'll need braces for a little bit but I am fairly certain the time will be reduced to a few months.

2) When I said good credit I meant near 800 for all three. I dont know if that matters.

Good that I am still covered by my dad's plan though as he has good medical coverage. I thought I was ineligible at 23 for some reason.

He doesnt have good dental though, so I would need to cover the braces. Would a loan for that be feasible?

CaliforniaKid

#5 Post by CaliforniaKid »

straight teeth does not matter for jaw surgery, at least not always.

i had straight teeth, but for my surgery (double jaw) they had to push my teeth out to an over-jet position so when the jaw is corrected they would be in a natural position.

id start doing some consults as soon as possible. maybe some posters here know surgeons in ny.

tdawg7669

#6 Post by tdawg7669 »

Sorry I should have clarified, my problem is a skeletal openbite because of posterior vertical excess.

Im guessing you were a class 2 skeletal and your teeth compensated for the discrepancy which is why they needed to decompensate.

Since my problems are mostly vertical, and my teeth are straight I dont think it would take as long.

Nygiants

#7 Post by Nygiants »

Try Buchbinder at Beth Israel- I assume you are in Manhattan.