just as good....?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angelstrings

just as good....?

#1 Post by angelstrings »

Does anyone know of any maxillofacial surgeons who're purported to be as competant as Dr's G&A?

CaliforniaKid

Re: just as good....?

#2 Post by CaliforniaKid »

Lol how many times has this been asked. arnett/gunson are ranked pretty highly. wolford is held in similar prestige. i imagine there are others. i can only speak for the surgeons i met with (over 5), and arnett/gunson were leagues ahead of them all.

like others have said, you have really good features and it would be a mistake to get an invasive procedure like jaw surgery that could potentially alter your looks for the worst. some of arnett/gunson's most expensive patients have been those needing re-dos from previously botched surgeries.

angelstrings

#3 Post by angelstrings »

Yeah, I hear ya. I guess I keep hoping someone will drop a new name, maybe more obscure but just as good, not as expensive, still high work ethic, and sense of what looks good.

I wish I could just let it all go, and I've tried, but I can't. This goal of mine, it's something I've always wanted so bad. I mean, I don't even know if they'll want to work on me if they think my bite is "fine," but I figured it's worth a shot. Even if I just go down for a consult like Max did and see what the computer images look like, maybe that'll inspire me to keep going, or convince me to quit.

If I can earn enough funds to go with G/A, then I won't have to worry about needing a revision. But if I don't try, I'm going to be 70 years old, looking back on my wasted life, wishing I'd just done the thing I always wanted to do-fix my jaw.

I guess when I'll concede is if I do wind up down there and they tell me I shouldn't do it. Then, I'll take heed. But from where I stand, it's worth the gamble. Life is one big adventure....

Bake sale anyone :lol: I'm gonna need it for the $$$$

CaliforniaKid

#4 Post by CaliforniaKid »

"just as good" is hard to define. gunson/arnett perform some very new techniques that other surgeons haven't mastered yet. but let's be real, you have above average features. if your bite is a problem (mechanically) you have to weigh whether a solid bite is work risking a loss in aesthetics.

maybe it's easier for me to judge since im obviously younger, but a lot of people get surgery and end up with half the looks you currently possess. surgery is expensive and gunson/arnett charge premium. assuming you aren't satisfied with the shape of your lower jaw, have you considered alternative cosmetic surgeries only? potential boost in aesthetics without the need to break your jaw.

maxhammer

#5 Post by maxhammer »

angelstrings wrote:Yeah, I hear ya. I guess I keep hoping someone will drop a new name, maybe more obscure but just as good, not as expensive, still high work ethic, and sense of what looks good.

I wish I could just let it all go, and I've tried, but I can't. This goal of mine, it's something I've always wanted so bad. I mean, I don't even know if they'll want to work on me if they think my bite is "fine," but I figured it's worth a shot. Even if I just go down for a consult like Max did and see what the computer images look like, maybe that'll inspire me to keep going, or convince me to quit.

If I can earn enough funds to go with G/A, then I won't have to worry about needing a revision. But if I don't try, I'm going to be 70 years old, looking back on my wasted life, wishing I'd just done the thing I always wanted to do-fix my jaw.

I guess when I'll concede is if I do wind up down there and they tell me I shouldn't do it. Then, I'll take heed. But from where I stand, it's worth the gamble. Life is one big adventure....

You should go on the consult since you're so curious and view it as a cure all. I think you'll be surprised when you see the Dolphin image and no longer recognize yourself. That's probably good for people with bad overbites/underbites/crossbites/openbites, but for those of us with moderate cosmetic issues it's quite a shock. Experience it for yourself, though, since you seem to need to do that. From what I've read, you are probably viewing it as a comprehensive solution to cosmetic issues that you see. If they bother you so much, then they are valid issues, but realize you are breaking and rearranging jaws, so things can go wrong. And also understand that while the jaws may be technically correct (according to society's ideals of beauty) post-surgery, they might not look good on you. There is more to consider, such as the areas higher up on the face, how the jaw matches your eyes, etc. e.g., in my case, my jaw looked "angry" while my eyes look very soft. I'm not even sure the surgeons consider that level of detail, but maybe they do. Gunson was impressive so don't get me wrong on that front. I also think there's a level of general aesthetic unhappiness in patients who seek this treatment purely for cosmetics. By that I mean, if you are unhappy with what you have now, you will probably be unhappy with something post surgery, and you'll be 60k lighter in the wallet. I'm basing these comments off myself and how similar I am to your case, but also friends I know who deal with these issues. Bottom line is that when you have a lot to work with, the risk/reward becomes skewed toward the risk side of the gradient. But, I do think you should go consult and experience it for yourself, because I can tell you won't trust or believe people on a forum no matter what we advise. Good luck, and tread lightly!

Summertimeolive

#6 Post by Summertimeolive »

maxhammer wrote:
angelstrings wrote:Yeah, I hear ya. I guess I keep hoping someone will drop a new name, maybe more obscure but just as good, not as expensive, still high work ethic, and sense of what looks good.

You should go on the consult since you're so curious and view it as a cure all. I think you'll be surprised when you see the Dolphin image and no longer recognize yourself. That's probably good for people with bad overbites/underbites/crossbites/openbites, but for those of us with moderate cosmetic issues it's quite a shock. Experience it for yourself, though, since you seem to need to do that. From what I've read, you are probably viewing it as a comprehensive solution to cosmetic issues that you see. If they bother you so much, then they are valid issues, but realize you are breaking and rearranging jaws, so things can go wrong. And also understand that while the jaws may be technically correct (according to society's ideals of beauty) post-surgery, they might not look good on you. There is more to consider, such as the areas higher up on the face, how the jaw matches your eyes, etc. e.g., in my case, my jaw looked "angry" while my eyes look very soft. I'm not even sure the surgeons consider that level of detail, but maybe they do. Gunson was impressive so don't get me wrong on that front. I also think there's a level of general aesthetic unhappiness in patients who seek this treatment purely for cosmetics. By that I mean, if you are unhappy with what you have now, you will probably be unhappy with something post surgery, and you'll be 60k lighter in the wallet. I'm basing these comments off myself and how similar I am to your case, but also friends I know who deal with these issues. Bottom line is that when you have a lot to work with, the risk/reward becomes skewed toward the risk side of the gradient. But, I do think you should go consult and experience it for yourself, because I can tell you won't trust or believe people on a forum no matter what we advise. Good luck, and tread lightly!
Wow Maxhammer- wonderful post and I think you hit many nails on the head. If this one issue is ruining your life, I agree get a consult and see what they have to say. I dont think the would operate on you if you dont need the surgery. The Dolphin imaging has almost pushed me to not get jaw surgery- even though I have a huge overbite and gum problems, it didnt look anything like me, if anything it was WORSE. As Maxhammer said the nature of your personality and your features might not match their measurements for a perfect jaw.... For ex, my eyes are soft, my features are very soft and childlike and then comes in with this monster jaw and chin, it doesnt work for me...Trust me really think about it.
" And also understand that while the jaws may be technically correct (according to society's ideals of beauty) post-surgery, they might not look good on you." I think this nails it on the head.... I personally have spent countless hours on the internet looking for almost every before and after possible and will say this, if you have a serious jaw/bite issue I've rarely seen anyone come out looking 'worse'.... there are a few that look a bit off but if your goal is exclusively cosmetic and your jaws are perfect its best to leave it alone.