Is jaw advancment after genioplasty a good idea?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jd

Is jaw advancment after genioplasty a good idea?

#1 Post by Jd »

I had braces as a teen had a short jaw, i was told to do jaw advancment and chin but i chose chin only cause i didnt want to do braces but now i want to do jaw advancement. Its been about 2.5 years since surgery and i would like the jaw stronger. What are the risks is it worth it? Will they have to redo chin how long is braces for lower teeth to push back lower teeth?

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Is jaw advancment after genioplasty a good idea?

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

it depends on how much they bring the jaw forward that you would need a redone genioplasty. Braces for that jaw advancement is 2.5 years. (planned on doing that myself)
Jenn Medeiros

Jd

#3 Post by Jd »

Holy 2.5 years is long lol. I think they would have to move about 5 mms and for braces i think they said they woukd remove 2 lower teeth and push the teeth back.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#4 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Yup they were goint to pull out my lower two and pull those teeth back. Then get my jaws preped for surgery like about a yr, or a yr and a half in they would do the surgery. Then leave the braces on for post op and then do the finishing touches to perfect the back back since it becomes off by a longshot from the surgery.
Jenn Medeiros

angelstrings

#5 Post by angelstrings »

Yup they were goint to pull out my lower two and pull those teeth back. Then get my jaws preped for surgery like about a yr, or a yr and a half in they would do the surgery. Then leave the braces on for post op and then do the finishing touches to perfect the back back since it becomes off by a longshot from the surgery.
BSS-Is this the procedure you are having done? Or did you decide on another? That's the same thing they told me they would do if I decide to go back into braces. I'm just wondering, what is the difference between having just the bottom done and the bottom plus the top?

BracedSurgeryStudent

#6 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

well I was going to have both done and at one point wanted just one and it was going to be the same time for both. it would just be the top helps to aleviate gummy smiles. if you dont have a gummy smile then the top would probably not be touched. It also depends on how severe the case over overbite is; if someone has a really bad overite there is only so far forward they can bring the lower jaw so they bring the top jaw to meet halfway.
Jenn Medeiros