The smallest things people go in for

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angelstrings

The smallest things people go in for

#1 Post by angelstrings »

Hi everyone,

I stopped visiting the forum a few months ago when I thought I had put it out of my mind to do the sliding genioplasty. I just needed some space to clear my head, make some financial moves, and get my act together. Now I'm in a better spot-good health, good head, good heart, etc. :P I feel like now is the right time to start planning my next move regarding my teeth!

Previously, I had 3 consults with max/fax surgeons, and one was a skype. It's peculiar, how they all relay a slightly different version of the same information. But, basically what I have going on is a bite in which the lower teeth "bow out" to compensate the upper teeth. My right front tooth is slightly protrussive, and I have a minimal overbite. I believe they referred to it as "over-jet."

Now at age 35, after a night in my retainer, when I awaken my teeth don't fit together at all. I wear the retainer so my front teeth don't start bucking out too much, but when I do, the back teeth don't fit anymore. After removing the retainer, say, after 4 hours or so, things have moved back into place and my bite 'feels' normal/normal for me, again. So, I can physically tell that something has shifted with my teeth. And I don't know if all this shifting is good for me or not. I have some gum loss on the bottoms. Between gum loss and my teeth feeling funny after wearing the retainer, I am feeling like it's time to go into braces again in October when insurance kicks in. Something I recall from the last visit in October with the orthodontist was that he said the plan of care might include removing 2 teeth from the bottom, pulling them back, the cutting the lower jaw to bring it up into correct position with the upper. He did however say that the amount of advancement would be minimal. Then again, he's not the surgeon and I know those guys have to work together.

So, how common is a 2-3mm advancment done? I am definitely doing braces again, one way or the other. I hate how my teeth feel, like my front teeth push up against my lower lip and they fit together with the bottoms like they "bow." Like a clam mouth, if that makes sense. Is there such a thing as a case that is "too simple to bother with?"

sarahn

Re: The smallest things people go in for

#2 Post by sarahn »

To me its all about how much it's bothering you and if your willing to take risk sfor it. For my personal experience and what I have seen, dentist and orthodontist will try to push there services to people who don't really need it. I have heard to often of people who seem to have a perfectly straight smiles being recommended braces. So my adivice is if YOU REALLY want it get it but don't let anyone try to push you into it.

angelstrings

#3 Post by angelstrings »

That sounds typical of any surgery services. My experience was so different, because both the orthodontist and the max/fax surgeons all said I would do just as well to leave it alone. But, they did leave the door open and seemed rather genuinly ready to help. I guess I just need to go in and ask what the risks are, specific to my situation.

Do orthodontists still make moulds of your teeth before going into braces? I think that if this most recent one would've, we would have noticed that my bite is off. I just haven't wanted to deal with it. I'm kind of a procrastinator, and am willing to accept anything...not a way I want to enter the rest of my life 8)

CaliforniaKid

#4 Post by CaliforniaKid »

@ angel

all three of my orthos did molds of my teeth. the ortho i have for surgery have done 6 molds so far.

ReoSity

#5 Post by ReoSity »

How did you consult with Dr. Sabol go? Hypothetically even if you have a lower jaw advancement that small, you still need a genio to bring your chin far enough forward if you still feel its retruded. I think I told you after seeing your pics you should go with a genio instead but your teeth not meeting correctly after you wear your retainer does sound abnormal.

angelstrings

#6 Post by angelstrings »

I did a skype consult. He is def the nicest guy ever. Not pushy, not pretentious...very grounded. He said he wouldn't do a genioplasty because it wouldn't suite my face. He said he'd do an implant, if I wanted to, but wasn't thrilled about that option either. I have to say though, skyping over the phone makes my face look out of proportion. Any kind of fisheye lens does though. I've taken enough pics with a phone camera held at arms length to know the difference from when someone takes it with my nikkon from 5 feet away. Huge difference in face proportions.

So, I'm going with what the other surgeons who've seen me in person say, which is, your mandible is recessed, your bite is livable, we are here if you need us. I am tempted still to fly down and do a face to face consult with him though...