Surgical versus Orthodontic Expansion?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Eurodude

Surgical versus Orthodontic Expansion?

#1 Post by Eurodude »

Why do some people with narrow misaligned jaws decide to have them surgically expanded instead of going the orthodontic route? Is it because there is a certain degree of deformation beyond which orthodontics isn't effective?
Thanks in advance for any feedback

Van'braces

Re: Surgical versus Orthodontic Expansion?

#2 Post by Van'braces »

Hi,
At a certain age (can be assessed by x-ray), the bones of the palate fuse together. A surgical procedure can be performed to open up the fuse line again for expansion of a narrow palate. There are loads of journal articles on the SARPE procedure versus non surgical expansion, arguing whether non surgical expansion does expand the palate or work by tipping the teeth outwards only. Personally I went for surgery, and I'm so glad I did. If you are unsure, I'd sugest asking your surgeon and ortho' many questions on the matter to come to your own conclusion. I have my own opinion on the subject but I am not qualified to argue one way or the other!
Good Luck with your decision and treatment!

coffeecupcakes

#3 Post by coffeecupcakes »

If you're talking about palatal expanders, they only work on young people (under 15 is most effective). Some adults can have orthodontic expansion, but will require surgery to 'split' the jaw bone anyway in order for it to work.

In my opinion the surgery-assisted expansion sounds quite painful / takes longer, so you might as well go for surgical expansion unless your orthodontist says otherwise...

Eurodude

#4 Post by Eurodude »

Its a contentious issue. Some medical sources say the cranial bones are fused and no movement is possible. Others say the bones are in constant movement and can be developed. I am wearing an upper ALF appliance and it has widened my maxilla noticeably without tipping the teeth but it took a year and I still need more expansion so I was thinking the surgery would have been a quicker fix. Seems like there is more than one way to get from A to B.

Minerva

#5 Post by Minerva »

Eurodude,

Do you mind telling your age?

Eurodude

#6 Post by Eurodude »

50 now, started expansion at 49

Minerva

#7 Post by Minerva »

Thank you, Eurodude.
Eurodude wrote:Its a contentious issue. Some medical sources say the cranial bones are fused and no movement is possible. Others say the bones are in constant movement and can be developed.
That must be the reason.

Congratulations on your expansion. Have you gone through much pain?