Personal ladies question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

littleviolet

Re: Personal ladies question

#16 Post by littleviolet »

Thanks Marian :)

I am from Australia. I've had my wisdom teeth out under general anesthetic and they let me leave my undies on for that (it was only a half an hour op though) but hopefully it's the same for jaw surgery & I'll be able to wear undies and a pad.

Yeah im sure the nurses don't mind as they have to do those sorts of things everyday and are used to it... I will try not to get embarrassed if I need their help lol

coffeecupcakes

#17 Post by coffeecupcakes »

Haha i understand :) I had no choice much either, but I felt obliged to post it just in case anyone else on the net had the same question.

Menstruation + jaw surgery = personal living hell for 4 days straight.

Good luck with your surgery! (By the way they made me wear disposable hospital panties lol, I suppose it differs from place to place)

keeponsmiling

#18 Post by keeponsmiling »

I've got a vague recollection of someone saying they had to have a catheter when they had jaw surgery. Could that have anything to do with whether or not you can keep your underwear on?

suzanna

#19 Post by suzanna »

angelstrings wrote:Hey Littleviolet--When we send people off to surgery, we require them to remove all clothing, undergarmets included, as well as jewelry/all piercings. So, that rules out wearing a pad. As far as a tampon goes, I wouldn't want to leave one in for the duration of surgery, since leaving them in can lead to toxic shock syndrome. Better just to leave under you the chux. But any questions you have, just be frank with your surgeon and the nurses. They've heard it all, seen it all, and this isn't a big deal to us. I remember thinking the same thoughts though when I was a patient, but seeing things from the other side has shown me how non-judgemental we are when it comes right down to it. We all have bodies, we rock'em hard, and sometimes they need TLC. That's what we do :wink: Best of luck girl.
You should be allowed to keep your underwear on though. I asked about that and the pre-op nurse said I could leave mine on. Just put a heavy duty pad on and you should be okay. You'll likely be up to the bathroom with 6-8 hours of your surgery to void anyways so you can change the pad then. Or if you're not feeling up to getting out of bed or need it changed earlier, just ask the nurse for a few face clothes and soap (or some hospitals even have like wet sanitary cloths) and do it while your in bed with help from the nurse. I'm a nurse as well and I've seen/done things a lot worse than helping a woman on her period change a pad! Don't worry, it should all be fine :D
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

suzanna

#20 Post by suzanna »

keeponsmiling wrote:I've got a vague recollection of someone saying they had to have a catheter when they had jaw surgery. Could that have anything to do with whether or not you can keep your underwear on?
You can request not to have a catheter put in. For this type of surgery, it's really not necessary. A catheter usually gets put in if the patient is going to have limited mobility or difficulty getting up to the bathroom after surgery. You might feel dizzy and weak the first few times you first get up, but you'll have help from the nurse or a family/friend so it will be fine!
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

Dani73

#21 Post by Dani73 »

Littleviolet - I am from Australia and I got to keep my knickers on! :D

littleviolet

#22 Post by littleviolet »

A nurse called me this morning to talk to me about my surgery and explain some things. She did ask when my next period is due & I told her that I was worried it would come while im in hospital. She said thats fine & just to wear a pad.

She said I would have to wear a catheter while im in intesive care though (just the first night) how embarrassing. But im sure I won't mind at the time when im dosed up on painkillers lol.

bracedblogger

#23 Post by bracedblogger »

I haven't had surgery yet (12/17 is my D day!) but another blogger I follow said to make sure before you go into surgery to tell one of the nurses. They will work with you to help you out. If you're taking BCPs you could always start the next pack to prevent that month's cycle.

ckdramas

#24 Post by ckdramas »

I'm in toronto.north York general hospital was where i had my surgery few days ago. I had my period then...nurse gave me an underwear n a pad dat had no sticky or wings. It just slipping it in...prob just for the surgery cz after surgery the pads they gave me were different. It was my third day of MC n normally i wud bleed a lot but i guess it cud b the anesthesia n all, there wasn't much blood and i didn't even need to change pad for atleast 5-6 hrs post op. I was too dizzy to get up to go to washroom so it was good for me.altho i could have used the same pad for few more hours if i still couldn't get up for washroom. But if u really do have to go, nurses will help u pee while lying down on ur bed. So don't worry, the nurses will take care of everything

littleviolet

#25 Post by littleviolet »

Turns out I was worrying for nothing lol my period decided to come a week late! I told the nurses it was due & they just told me to wear pads incase. But it didn't come until I got out of hospital! all the stress, anesthetic and medicines must have put it on hold for a few days.

latinafey

#26 Post by latinafey »

Good to hear. I would have called up my doctor and straight up asked him, in case he/she though it would be a major issue. Maybe a reschedule would have been in order.